Thread: System Volume Information folder " access denied " and CMD.exe for Dummies

ohmy System Volume Information folder " access denied " and CMD.exe for Dummies

Hi! I am completely dummies in CMD.exe.

I need access to System Volume Information folder, because I have virus there. I know, that you must:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.

2. Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt).

3. Type the following line, and then press ENTER:
    cacls "driveletter:\System Volume Information" /E /G username:F
    Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions.

But how to do this?

When I open cmd, I see C:\Documents and Settings\user>

So how can I get-type that damn C:\System Volume Information?!

Backspace is not working here!

Please help!

Re: System Volume Information folder " access denied " and CMD.exe for Dummies

Refer to this Microsoft help : How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder ,

hope this will help. good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

For Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File System

In Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system, you must use the Cacls tool, which is a command-line tool to display or modify file or folder access control lists (ACLs)

Click Start , click Run , type cmd , and then click OK

Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt). To get to the root of any partition, make sure you are in that partition and then type "cd\" (without the quotation marks).

Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls " driveletter :\System Volume Information" /E /G username :F

Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. Also, if your user name contains a space you'll need to put your username in quotes. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions

Double-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder to open it

If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the following line at a command prompt:

cacls " driveletter :\System Volume Information" /E /R username

This command removes all permissions for the specified user.

Windows XP Professional Using the NTFS File System on a Domain

Click Start , and then click My Computer

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options

On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders

Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box

Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change

Click OK

Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Sharing and Security

Click the Security tab

Click Add , and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Choose the account location if appropriate (either local or from the domain). Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK , and then click OK

The following steps also work if you restart the computer to Safe mode because simple file sharing is automatically turned off when you run the computer in Safe mode.

1. Open My Computer --- Right-click the System Volume Information folder --- then Click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab.
    3. Click Add --- then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on.
    4. Click OK --- then click OK again.
    5. Double-click the System Volume Information folder to open it.

ThumbsUp Re: System Volume Information folder " access denied " and CMD.exe for Dummies

Thank you,JonathanD, very much! Many did not understand, that I know WHAT to do, but not-HOW to do it!

ALL I needed is that stupid letters- "cd\"!
    Even in Microsoft help pages this is not written!
    Cleaned my comp from virus-thanx again!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
    For Windows XP Home Edition Using the NTFS File System

In Windows XP Home Edition with the NTFS file system, you must use the Cacls tool, which is a command-line tool to display or modify file or folder access control lists (ACLs)

Click Start , click Run , type cmd , and then click OK

Make sure that you are in the root folder of the partition for which you want to gain access to the System Volume Information folder. For example, to gain access the the C:\System Volume Information folder, make sure that you are in the root folder of drive C (at a "C:\" prompt). To get to the root of any partition, make sure you are in that partition and then type "cd\" (without the quotation marks).

Type the following line, and then press ENTER:

cacls " driveletter :\System Volume Information" /E /G username :F

Make sure to type the quotation marks as indicated. Also, if your user name contains a space you'll need to put your username in quotes. This command adds the specified user to the folder with Full Control permissions

If you need to remove the permissions after troubleshooting, type the following line at a command prompt:

cacls " driveletter :\System Volume Information" /E /R username

This command removes all permissions for the specified user.

Windows XP Professional Using the NTFS File System on a Domain

Click Start , and then click My Computer

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options

On the View tab, click Show hidden files and folders

Clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box

Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm the change

Click OK

Right-click the System Volume Information folder in the root folder, and then click Sharing and Security

Click the Security tab

Click Add , and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Choose the account location if appropriate (either local or from the domain). Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on. Click OK , and then click OK