Thread: How to lower my laptop temperature

How to lower my laptop temperature

Hi All..!

I am having a laptop with inbuild configuration of Intel Core2Duo 2.0 MHz with vista running on it. My laptop should have a maximum operating temperature of 40 degree Celsius, But when i play a Free Mahjong Planet a simple game on my HP 530 laptop, its core temperature climbs to 70 degree Celsius.

I had used SpeedFan to monitor the temperature of my laptop.

Please Help....!

Re: How to lower my laptop temperature

What is my Computers Maximum CPU Temperature?

A lot of users frequently ask if their computers are running too hot and want to know their maximum temperature for their CPU is. This article will show you how to monitor your processors temperature and tell you the maximum CPU temperature your PC should be running at.

First of all, you need a CPU temperature monitoring program in order to measure what your current CPU temperature is. There are many good processor monitoring applications out there and it is most likely that there is one on the CD which came with your motherboard. If there isn’t one on the CD (or you have since lost it) I recommend Motherboard Monitor which is freeware and can be found HERE.

Motherboard Monitor is useful because not only you can make it constantly show you the temperature in real time on your system tray, but you can set it up so that if the maximum temperature is reached an alarm will go off.

An example of Motherboard Monitors temperature monitoring in the systemtray.

Another way of checking your CPU temperature is to look in your computers BIOS. To get into your computers BIOS; on the first screen you see press to enter setup, on some machines this may be F1, F2 or F10.

Once you are in BIOS setup there will be an option called Hardware Monitor or PC Health section (mine was found under Power > Hardware Monitor).

However this isn’t a very good method to measure your computers temperature because when your computer is in the BIOS your computer is doing nothing and therefore not generating the heat that is caused during normal computer use.

Ok, I know the temperature now, Is my CPU too hot?

Once you know what your computers temperature is you should consult the chart below to determine the maximum temperature allowed for your CPU type.

Note: If you dont know what your CPU type is you can use a tool like Everest Free to find out.CPU
    Max Temperature

AMD Althon, Althon Opteron, Duron & Sempron Series

AMD Athlon (socket) upto 1Ghz 90°C
    AMD Athlon (slot) all speeds 70°C
    AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz+ 95°C
    AMD Athlon MP 1.33Ghz+ 95°C
    AMD Athlon XP 1.33Ghz+ 90°C
    AMD Athlon XP T-Bred upto 2100+ 90°C
    AMD Athlon XP T-Bred over 2100+ 85°C
    AMD Athlon XP Barton 85°C
    AMD Duron up to 1Ghz 90°C
    AMD Duron 1Ghz+ 90°C
    AMD Duron Applebred 85°C
    AMD Opteron 65 - 71°C
    AMD Athlon 64 70°C
    AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 939, 1.4 volts) 65°C
    AMD Athlon 64 FX 70°C
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 71°C
    AMD Sempron (T-bred/Barton core) 90°C
    AMD Sempron (Paris core) 70°C
    AMD Mobile Sempron 95°C

AMD K6 Series
    AMD K6/K6-2/K6-III (All except below) 70°C
    AMD K6-2/K6-III (model number ending in X) 65°C
    AMD K6-2+/K6-III+ 85°C

Intel Pentium III Series

Pentium III Slot 1 500-866Mhz 80°C
    Pentium III Slot and socket 933Mhz 75°C
    Pentium III Slot 1 1Ghz 60 - 70°C
    Pentium III Slot 1 1.13Ghz 62°C

Intel Celeron Series

Intel Celeron 266-433Mhz 85°C
    Intel Celeron 466-533Mhz 70°C
    Intel Celeron 566-600Mhz (Coppermine) 90°C
    Intel Celeron 633-667Mhz 82°C
    Intel Celeron 700 - 850Mhz 80°C
    Intel Celeron 900Mhz - 1.6Ghz 69 - 70°C
    Intel Celeron 1.7Ghz and Higher 67 - 77°C

Intel Pentium II

Intel Pentium II (First Generation "Klamath") 72 - 75°C
    Intel Pentium II (Second Generation, 266-333Mhz) 65°C
    Intel Pentium II (350 - 400Mhz) 75°C
    Intel Pentium II (450Mhz) 70°C

Intel Pentium 4

Pentium M (notebooks)
    Intel Pentium 4 64 - 78°C

There are no specific stats for Pentium 4 CPU’s as P4’s have an ability to slow themselves down when they are getting too hot and thus, in theory they should never be able to burn themselves out. To get specifics consult Intel’s specifications for your particular model.

Intel Pentium M (notebooks) 100°C

Intel Pentium D (dual core)

Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8Ghz) 63°C
    Intel Pentium D 830 & 840 (3.0 - 3.2Ghz) 69.8°C

Intel Pentium Pro

Intel Pentium Pro. 256 or 512K L2 Cache 85°C
    Intel Pentium Pro. 1MB L2 Cache 80°C

have you actually seen the temperature reach this high or it just a sparatic warning. The reason I ask this is sometimes the temperature can be reported falsely because it is an analog device and shares pulse modulation with the other sensors. And without getting into detail, sometimes certain condidions, almost like harmonics, happens that causes the reports to be messed up. I've never had anything reporting high temperatures, mostly it'll report something like -130 deg C, which you know is clearly false.

The best way to check is to download Prime95 and run the torture test on it. Watch the temperature and see if it climbs past 80+ deg C. If it does, you clearly have a cooling problem. Unless you have made some kind of overvolt mod, there's now way it should get that hard unless: 1) heatsink isn't seated correctly or you have too much or too little thermal paste contact between the heatsink and CPU. 2) your fan is seized, malfunctioning, or not connected to the motherboard. 3) There is a malfunction is the sensor and/or reporting software (the former is highly unlikely since the diode is on-die)

We recommend purchasing our Cool Lift to cut down on the heat being emitted from your laptop. The Cool Lift is designed to be placed underneath your laptop, and allow the heat that dissipates to disperse. It does this by increasing airflow around your laptop to allow it to run nice and cool.