Thread: SBS wont receieve incoming email

sad SBS wont receieve incoming email

Hi there

We have sbs 2003 r2 and have been getting along fine with it via a 1 NIC set up but we have recently moved offices and in doing so changed over to a 2 NIC setup. Got a new static IP address from the leased office space and they assure me all ports are open. I can send email out and send and receieve email internally fine but cannot receieve email from external recipients. We can also connect to theinternet fine.

Having spoken with our domain name hosts (who updated their records to the new IP address over 72 hours ago) they tried to telnet my port. It starts to connect but then drops out as soon as they hit any key and disconnects them.

I have checked all of the networking configuration time and time again, and have re-run the connect to internet wizard to re-set the exchange settings about 3 times. The server has been rebooted more times than a ZX Spectrum to ensure all the settings are clear and fresh but to no avail. I have tried switching off the anti virus and disabling the sbs firewall still with no results.

Please if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

A man with gradually less and less hair from pulling it out in frustration

Re: SBS wont receieve incoming email

DNS service forwarders need to be pointing to your ISP's DNS servers or OpenDNS.org's servers.

Your external NIC should be pointing back to SBS' internal IP ... no reference to ISP's DNS servers or others. NetBIOS disabled, File and Printer Sharing disabled, Windows Authentication disabled (unchecked).

The inbound e-mail is your domain's hosting provider DNS servers being mucked up. You need to get in touch with them and straighten out your MX record setup.

If your domain account name is different to the mailbox alias, you need to supply the IMAP user name in the form:
    DOMAIN\ACCOUNT\ALIAS

Hi All

Thanks for your replies. All of the settings u suggested Chroma are already in place and my domain name matches exactly internally and externally. We can even try to telnet in from outside and all IP and domain lookups match the static IP address perfectly. But still no luck

Any other ideas??

Cheers

Dave