Thread: What is the function of smcgui.exe

What is the function of smcgui.exe

I have installed symantec antivirus on my windows XP computer and there are several files/processes running in the task manager that i cannot end. Among those, there is this file : smcgui.exe. I want to know What is the function of smcgui.exe in the antivirus program?

Re: What is the function of smcgui.exe

I am not too techie, but if the file is installed by the antivirus program, then it must have some specific reason, so just relax and that should not bother you, Antivirus are for protection and destruction...

I know that very well dude... I just want to know this because, this process is taking way to much resource of my computer and all i end in is my computer being slow... So i am curious.. Can anyone else help me?

Smcgui.exe stands for SMC = Symantec and GUI = graphical user interface. It is the gui of the antivirus system to a normal user which can operate it using the graphical user interface environment.

The SMCGUI is a little shield in the system tray that can be noticed if you see it in the quick launch. It is normally used to fulfill some functions other than some firewall works, incase if that is switched on. Although someone said that if you even have the firewall turned off then it still runs in the background to check the traffic passing through.

This is firewall of Symantec suite. If you disable that the firewall will not work. There are less chances you can terminate this from task manager. But if this consumes too much resource then you might need to reconfigure the settings. Somehow it affects pc performance, but if you want to get rid of that you will need to use a different antivirus. There are more lighter version of antivirus available.