Thread: Cannot run disk cleanup

Cannot run disk cleanup

I am using XP Pro. My disk clean up is not working. when trying to clean up any of the drives, it doesn't accept my command. like i go to my computer then right click on any of the drives then to properties then to the tool tab & then clicking on the clean up button it does not work or doesn't accept the command. when looking in the task manager i see service cleanupmrg.exe is running & when trying to stop the process it can't be stopped.How can i stop cleanupmgr.exe and run cleanup disk?

Can anyone Help...!

Re: Cannot run disk cleanup

Check this it will help you how to clean up without the cleanup utility...

See Link

SYMPTOMS

When you try to compress old files, the Disk Cleanup tool may stop responding (hang) and you receive the following message:

Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space you will be able to free on (C.
    This may take a few minutes to complete.
    Scanning: Compress old files

WORKAROUND

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
    To work around this problem, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
    Locate, and then click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches

On the File menu, click Export, and then click Desktop, type VolumeCaches in the File name box, and then click Save.

Note This step creates a backup of the VolumeCaches registry key. If you experience any problems after you complete the steps that are listed in this procedure, you can use this backup to restore the VolumeCaches key to its original state. To restore the key, double-click the VolumeCaches.reg file on your desktop, and then click Yes.
    Expand the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Volume Caches

Delete the Compress old files registry key.
    Quit Registry Editor

Type into RUN...cleanmgr.exe...see if it runs from there, or try running in safe mode..

OR

Go to start-run type in regedit Once there navigate to this path... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files Delete everything in the Compress old files directory Then rerun disk cleanup. If you want, back up registry before you begin, or just back up the Compress old files key by first navigating to it, selecting it, then file - export to a known location on hardrive.

Here you can find how to install the lost disk clean up utility in the XP again...

SEE LINK