Thread: Can't Play .OGM Video Files in Windows Vista

Can't Play .OGM Video Files in Windows Vista

Hi .. i am Vista user. I have some videos in OGM format which i am not able to play in my OS.

Is there any way i can make it play in my Vista Pc ?

Please help..

Re: Can't Play .OGM Video Files in Windows Vista

If you run across any .ogm vide files, they will not play natively in Windows Vista. This is a vide format commonly used for anime files. All is not lost though. The Combined Community Codec Pack is, designed to allow the playing of .ogm files in Windows VIsta... and it's free!

All you need to do is download and install and make play them from within Windows Media Player, although for best results you might want to read on.

1. Launch the setup process, and you should come to the "Select Components" dialog.

2. Here's where you want to uncheck Windows Media 9, as well as remove the checkboxes for the two items under "Players". We're trying to play this under WMP11, afterall.

3. Hit next, and you'll come to a screen where you can choose the file types you want to use the Haali Media Splitter for. This is the component that actually will help you play your OGM files.

4. Just installing the codec pack doesn't set OGM files to Windows Media Player though. You need to double-click on your video file, select to pick from a list of installed programs, and then select Windows Media Player in the list. Make sure you've checked the option to always play in WMP.

And there we areā€¦ OGM files playing in Windows Media Player.

Well I'm happy to say that getting OGM files to play in Vista was a lot easier. I'm sure these codecs have come a long way from when I first tried using them a few years ago. I simply had to install one application to get my OGM files playing in WMP11 on Vista.

That program is the Combined Community Codec Pack or CCCP. Go a head and download the latest version of CCCP and run it.

Thanks for the info. The install went quick and painless and worked flawlessly.

i've read through your suggestion/instructions, whatever you want to call it and it didn't work. i got the audio to work, but the video still won't show up, is there any other way to make .ogm files work on windows vista?

It is possible that the OGM simply has not been recorded. Did GOM installed its own codec? Remove it too. Donwload what is appropriate for you either Vista Codec Package 5.4.6 or VistaCodecs x64Components 2.1.7

I suggest you to download and install KLM Codec pack, it includes all the codecs necessary for playing all multimedia files. You can download KLM Codec Pack from here : http://www.techarena.in/download/cod...codec-pack.htm

Download VLC player. It can play video files with .ogm extension.OGM is the Ogg Vorbis video container format, similar to AVI or MP4, that generally contains Ogg Vorbis audio and a video stream. If you want to play OGM files with Windows Media Player, you need to install a codec pack to add support for OGM to Windows Media Player. VLC media player is a highly portable multimedia player and multimedia framework capable of reading most audio and video format.

haha, well for one, i tried that particular codec pack (k-lite) ., and for two, i have vlc on my computer, and it won't play the .ogm files
    i've tried about four different codec packs, none of which work, and i've also tried getting video converters, but they won't install on my computer, it keeps coming up with the same thing...(program name) is not a valid win32 application
    so i have no idea what to do now

OGM files may be encoded using DivX, XviD, Theora, or other codecs, which means the video player also must support the appropriate codec in order to play the file.VLC supports playback of OGM, MP4, MOV, most MPEG files and most other audio and video formats.

that's no help at all, i already have the vlc player and it doesn't work, the codec packs i've tried don't work...nothing works, ugh
    it's so frustrating