Thread: How do i copy files to Winsxs

sad How do i copy files to Winsxs

Hey Guys,

I would like to know that how do i copy my files to Winsxs. I tried to copy my files to Winsxs but couldn't succeed. Can any one tell me that how do i copy my files to Winsxs? Is there any particular software or tool which can allow me to do so? Does any body have any idea about it? Kindly help me to copy my files to Winsxs. Would be grateful to you if any one helps me out.

Thanks.

Re: How do i copy files to Winsxs

Are you using the Microsoft supplied merge modules in your installer? You shouldn't be copying the DLLs directly, or setting them up explicitly - you should be using the supplied Merge Modules. This is what our application does and it seems to install fine on Vista as an administrative user.

The "sxs" in the folder \windows\winsxs stands for "side by side". This folder allows programs to use different versions of the same file, usually drivers. Files in winsxs do include executable files such as Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) and System Restore (rstrui.exe).

A reason that Task Manager would be executed from the folder c:\Windows\winsxs\x86_microsoft-windows-taskmgr_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6xxx.16386_none_122b6d31ac48dff3 may be due to corruption of the \windows\system32 file. Check to see that the file sizes and dates are the same.

Relocating your winsxs directory can dramatically reduce the amount of disk space Vista consumes on the Eee PC SSD. However, at the time of this writing, it breaks Vista's ability to perform Windows Updates because of a limitation in Windows Update that prevents it from copying across volumes. Also, slipstreaming any outstanding hotfixes to VLited media, or using the Integrated Vista SP1 installation media is arguably preferable to moving winsxs.

Aparently the Windows Installer service delegates installing those merge modules to the Windows Module Installer service. This last service is running under the Trusted Installer account, which is the only account with full rights on the winsxs directory. (And other directories under %windir% and registry hives).