Thread: Automatic update service cannot start

Automatic update service cannot start

In my computer i have a problem with automatic update service does not start. Actually i had a virus in my computer naming "Vundo" but was able to to remove the virus. But when i open my service console, the AU service is disbaled. i set it on & apply it. then also it automaticly set it off. then i recieve the following error:

Error 1058: The service could not be started, either because it is disabled or it has no enabled devices associated with it.

I have confirmed that BITS is up and running normally, I can also stop and restart it with no problems.
    I have attempted to delete the AU service and reinstall. I have used the following command to reinstall:
    rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %systemroot%\inf\au.inf

I have tried reregistering the following files:
    wuapi.dll
    wuaueng.dll
    wuaueng1.dll
    wucltui.dll
    wups.dll
    wuweb.dll

As a last resort, I booted to the XP CD and ran a repair, nothing has corrected the problem. I cannot begin to tell you how much I DO NOT want to wipe this computer out and start fresh.

Re: Automatic update service cannot start

Have you gone into the Serives area and Started the service after changing it to Automatic?

Start.Run>services.msc

Check for automatic updates. Double clikc it and turn to automatic and star the service. See if you can update then.

But if you have SP3 installed there has been no new updates since it was put out.

Re: Automatic update service cannot start

Yep I did services.msc->automaticupdates properties->automatic but that's when windows xp puts it right back into disabled. so I don't even get a chance to start the service myself. I know there's no new updates out, but I'm eventually gonna need to update so might as well fix the problem now