Thread: Word Error Bookmark not defined

Word Error Bookmark not defined

Hello , After insert fields in a Word 2003 document, When I want to print, I have the following error message: "Error! Bookmark not defined" who can help me is Solve this Problem , Thank you in advance

Re: Word Error Bookmark not defined

Because a bookmark is not defined. What this most likely means is that somewhere, a field (probably a cross-reference or hyperlink) is pointing to a bookmark that is no longer present. Perhaps it got deleted during revision, or perhaps it points towards a file on your predecessor's hard disk that isn't present on your hard disk.Look for all the crossrefs and hyperlinks in the document, and see which one is broken. There's probably an easier way to do this, but I didn't see any "fix broken links" command. (I'm using an older version of Word, so see if anyone using the current versions can help.) In the meantime, one way is the following: Set your Options/ Preferences (View tab) to show field codes, which will look like {a typical field code} after you close the dialog. Next, open the list of bookmarks (Insert --> Bookmark) and make note of all the bookmarks in the file. You can now search for fields (in the "find what" field of the search dialog, type ^d, which is the shortcut for fields). For each field, check whether it defines a link to a bookmark and if so, whether the bookmark is still present in the file. If not, either add that bookmark, update the field to point to the correct bookmark, or delete the field.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIDEN View Post
    Hello , After insert fields in a Word 2003 document, When I want to print, I have the following error message: "Error! Bookmark not defined" who can help me is Solve this Problem , Thank you in advance
    Did you update the TOC before printing? Right-click, Update field...Just remove the TOC field (Table of Contents) field completely. Replacing the message with a blank is unhelpful, its the field that you need to remove.

Unlink the table of contents before merging to a new document. This converts the TOC field to actual text, and the table of contents can no longer be updated. If you want to update the table of contents, you must reinsert it.

• Follow these steps to unlink the table of contents: Place the insertion point within the table of contents.
    • Press CTRL+SHIFT+F9 (Windows), or the COMMAND key+SHIFT+F9 (Macintosh).

or Insert the table of contents after merging to the new document. and also you can Merge directly to the printer, instead of merging to a new document.

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    Unlink the table of contents before merging to a new document. This converts the TOC field to actual text, and the table of contents can no longer be updated. If you want to update the table of contents, you must reinsert it.

• Follow these steps to unlink the table of contents: Place the insertion point within the table of contents.
    • Press CTRL+SHIFT+F9 (Windows), or the COMMAND key+SHIFT+F9 (Macintosh).

or Insert the table of contents after merging to the new document. and also you can Merge directly to the printer, instead of merging to a new document.
    I registered on the forum to say: Macarenas, I just had this problem when "printing" my doctoral thesis with a pdf maker. You saved me about 3 hours of work at least and a huge amount of stress. Thank you very, very much.

• Highlight and delete the table of contents that has this error message on it.
    • Go to Reference
    • Click on Table of Contents
    • On the bottom click on Insert Table of Contents
    • Click on Options
    • If you have more than one Table of Contents in your document, go through and remove all of them except the one or ones that have the error message on it
    • Click OK
    • Click OK again
    • When the box pops up that says “do you want to replace the selected Table of Contents” click OK
    The TOC should be replaced and corrected.