Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 31-03-2009

sad Can't print to Winfax or Paperport "the handle is invalid"

A few months ago, I lost the ability to print to Winfax or Paperport 11. When I try to print using Notepad, the error I get is "The handle is invalid". This doesn't interfere with my printing to my physical printers, or even to MS's virtual printer (Microsoft XPS document writer). I tried reinstalling Paperport, to no avail.

I have a mongrel computer, running Win XP.

The virtual printing to Paperport and Winfax worked fine for years.

No, I don't remember what changes I might have made to my system around the time of the error. Last year was a very bad year for me, and this wasn't at the top of my problems when I first noticed it.

Help?

Last edited by angelsix : 31-03-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 31-03-2009

Re: Can't print to Winfax or Paperport "the handle is invalid"

This problem occurs because rsh was changed in SP2 so that RSH.exe is not interrupted when a user presses a key. The keyboard input buffer is flushed as part of the rsh change in SP2. If you redirect the input of rsh to NULL with the -n option, an invalid handle error occurs when the input buffer is flushed.
Old 31-03-2009

Re: Can't print to Winfax or Paperport "the handle is invalid"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanD View Post
This problem occurs because rsh was changed in SP2 so that RSH.exe is not interrupted when a user presses a key. The keyboard input buffer is flushed as part of the rsh change in SP2. If you redirect the input of rsh to NULL with the -n option, an invalid handle error occurs when the input buffer is flushed.
Sadly, I have no idea what that means, or what to do about it, but it does certainly sound very tech.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , , , ,