Thread: Upgrade from Open Office 3 to 3.0.1

Upgrade from Open Office 3 to 3.0.1

Hello,
    I would like to install Open Office 3.0.1 but the installer asks me to first uninstall the old version (ver. 3).
    I did not need to uninstall an older version to update to Open Office.
    For you, it happened like that too? Thank you.
    wus up everybody?

Re: Upgrade from Open Office 3 to 3.0.1

I have just brought an Acer Aspireone AOA110 with OS of Linpus and Openoffice 2.3 installed. Having read your post today, I have downloaded OpenOffice 3.0 and installed on my Aspireone. I would like to share with you the procedures below:-

1. I downloaded OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en.US.tar.gz from OpenOffice.org website
    2. The file was found saved at the path /mnt/home/Downloads/ (note: I have an additional extended 16G SD card, you may need to check the path at your PC)
    3. Open the "File Manager" and select "File" and then "Terminal".
    4. If you are new to Linux, these commands may help
    ls - list file (press TAB twice after "ls" will list all available files, directories)
    cd - change directory
    pwd - present working directory
    5. Type "su" to change to root (i.e. the administrator)
    6. Type in the root password.
    7. Type "cd /mnt/home/Downloads/" to change to where OOo ver3 was saved at.
    8. Type "gunzip OOo_3.0.1_LinuxIntel-install_wJRE_en_US.tar.gz" to unzip the file. (Alternatively, you may type "gunzip OOo" and then press TAB to ask Linpus to complete the remaining file name for you.)
    9. After unzip, the ".gz" of the downloaded file was found erased.
    10. Type "tar -xvf OOo_3.0.1_LinxuIntel-install_wJRE_en_US.tar" to expand the file. (or you can just type "tar -vxf OO" and then press TAB to complete the remaining file name.
    11. Expanded files were saved at a new folder "OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379"
    11. Type "cd OOO300_m15_native_packed-1_en-US.9379" to change to the new folder and a "setup" file was found.
    12. Type "./setup" then the installation window of OOo ver3 popped up.
    13. I followed the instructions and completed the installation.
    14. The installation programme didn't add item to the Linpus menu. I had to find out the executive file and the path of installation myself.
    15. The OpenOffice.org 3 was found installed at "/opt/openoffice.org3/"
    16. Open "File Manager", then select "File" and "Terminal" to open a new terminal.
    16. Type "cd /opt/openoffice.org3/program/" to change to the program files of OOo ver3.
    17. Type "./soffice" then and complete the first time setup of OpenOffice 3 and I could use OOo ver3.

I could use the powerful Calc (i.e. spreadsheet) with 1024 columns.

I don't know how to create a shortcut or icon at Linpus for Aspireone at the moment and hope I can sort it out in the near future.

To upgrade an older version of OOo, you always need to download a new installation set of OOo and install that version.

It is recommended that the previous version be uninstalled before updating to a new version. This can be accomplished, in Windows, by opening the Control Panel from the Start Menu and selecting Add/Change Programs or Remove Programs. Select the old version of OpenOffice.org from the list and click Remove. Then install the new version.

The Setup removes only the program files. Your settings remain in your home folder.

When you start the new version the first time, you see the Welcome Wizard. In the Welcome Wizard, among other settings, you can decide to import the settings from the old version into the new version.

Go into "add repositories" and add the Openoffice "community" repo.
    Then do your update through yast2