Thread: Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete

idea Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete

Hello Friends,

I would like to know that is it safe to delete Software Distribution folder by using CCleaner? Does any body have any idea about this issue? Can any body provide me the correct logical solution for the above issue? Any kind of information on this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Is the Software Distribution folder safe to delete

According to my best of knowledge CCleaner doesn't clean that folder. I don't think that there is any other cleaning utility which can do it.

In order to delete everything you must go into Services, stop Automatic Updates and the BITS services. Then delete, then start them up. When you do this, the Update History log is destroyed. So the next time you try to look at your history log on Windows/Microsoft Update, it will come back empty until you install again. Then it will show from that point. If you have not installed all updates in the SoftwareDistribution/Downloads folder, these will have to be downloaded again.

You have two options:-

1. Delete the entire SoftwareDistribution tree and lose Update History

2. OR Delete the Downloads folder only, keeping the Update History data file (located in the DataStore folder), and take the chance that you don't get out-of-sync of downloaded files/not installed.

Yes you are right once the updates are installed on your computer you can delete the folder in software distribution, infact you can delete the software distribution completely. This folder will be automatically created when you will try to update your windows once again.

If you delete the install folders in windows directory you will never be able to uninstall that update. So its safe, it wont cause any wrong stuff on your computer but you will never be able to remove the update