Thread: How do i play .wmv files on Vista

idea How do i play .wmv files on Vista

Hello Friends,

I'm running Windows Vista as my operating system. I would like to know that how do i play .wmv files on Windows Vista. I had tried to play it on my system, but couldn't play it. Can any body tell me how can i play .wmv files on Windows Vista? Does any one knows about it? kindly suggest me the correct logical solution for the above issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do i play .wmv files on Vista

However, the files are compressed audio format of WAVE_FORMAT_WMAUDIO2 and uncompressed video. The issue with playing back that specific content is different and involves how the uncompressed video media type is converted from a VIDEOINFOHEADER structure into an MF media type.

Well, WMV as far as I know is not a container, but a video format. Therefore, you don't need any DivX, Xvid, whatsoever codecs installed if you want to play a WMV file. Windows should handle the Microsoft Windows Media Video format all by itself. Does that file work on Windows XP? Does the file have any form of DRM in it?

Try to download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack from the free websites. You just need to follow the below steps in order to download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack

1. You should only have to click on the Download link for the file that you want to download. When your browser asks you what to do with the downloaded file, select "Save" and pick an appropriate folder. If that doesn't work for some reason, on Windows you can click the link with the second mouse button (right click) to get the pop-up menu and select "Save Target As".

2. It is strongly recommended to use a download manager if you're downloading large files. Internet Explorer doesn't support download resuming, and will not help you out if there is a problem with your download.

Here's how I fixed it, Right click on the file that you are trying to use. Choose "Open with" then, from your options, choose "Windows Media Center". If you choose Center instead of Player, then, for some reason, mine worked. Also, while you're at it, check "use this to play all files of this type" (or something like that.)