Thread: Windows Media Player cannot play files with optical media and other portable devices

Windows Media Player cannot play files with optical media and other portable devices

I have a Dell Dimension 4700running XP Home with Live OneCare protection.
    I am having a problem that has just developed with Windows Media Player, I can open it up on my PC and it will play any music in the current library but if I insert a new CD or attach my Sony MP3 player it comes up with the error message and says it must close down. The current Media Player is version 9 and I tried upgrading to Version 11 but still the same thing happened. I tried downloading Winamp Music Player but the same thing happened. It would appear there is a conflict somewhere but any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Windows Media Player

Have you tried reinstalling windows media player again? What is the error message you are getting?

Re: Windows Media Player cannot play files with optical media and other portable devices

Unable to reload as part of original XP but did try and upgrade to 11 without success. Screen error below second screen can give full details of error report if needed.
    Many thanks.
    Attachment 7821

Re: Windows Media Player cannot play files with optical media and other portable devices

This issue may occur if your Windows Media Library index file is corrupted.

To resolve this issue, create a new library index file:
    1. Remove any audio CDs, and then close Windows Media Player.

2. Locate the following folder:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index
      By default, the \Application Data\ folder is hidden. See the "More Information" section of this article for instructions about how to show hidden folders.

Note
      In some cases the index file may be located in a different folder. If you do not find the index file at this location, or if this folder does not exist on your computer, click Start, click Search, and then search for the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file.

3. Right-click the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file, and then click Rename.

4. Type Wmplibrary_v_0_12.OLD to rename the file.

5. Insert an audio CD, and then start Windows Media Player if it does not start automatically.

Windows Media Player re-creates the library index file.

@ alphalogan

Because there are several versions of Microsoft Windows, the above steps may be different on your computer. If they are, see your product documentation to complete these steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    This issue may occur if your Windows Media Library index file is corrupted.

To resolve this issue, create a new library index file:
    1. Remove any audio CDs, and then close Windows Media Player.

2. Locate the following folder:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Index
      By default, the \Application Data\ folder is hidden. See the "More Information" section of this article for instructions about how to show hidden folders.

Note
      In some cases the index file may be located in a different folder. If you do not find the index file at this location, or if this folder does not exist on your computer, click Start, click Search, and then search for the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file.

3. Right-click the Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db file, and then click Rename.

4. Type Wmplibrary_v_0_12.OLD to rename the file.

5. Insert an audio CD, and then start Windows Media Player if it does not start automatically.

Windows Media Player re-creates the library index file.
    Many thanks but have searched computer for both hidden and not hidden files and Wmplibrary_v_0_12.db does not appear to exist on my computer

If Wmplibrary_v_O_12.db is not on my PC please advise me what I should do to install it?
    Thanks,