Thread: Boot disc with virus scanner

Boot disc with virus scanner

hi,
    I have a Model No : Inspiron 1420
    Processor : Intel Dual Core T 2390 ( 1.86 Ghz)
    Ram : 1 GB DDR 2 memory
    Hard disk : 120 GB HDD
    Display : 14.1" WXGA ( 1280 x 800 ) TFT Display
    Dell Wireless 355 bluetooth, virus on my laptop prevents me from running or installing any antivirus programs, or going to any antivirus websites. So the only thing I can think of to do is run antivirus from a boot disk.i think AVG can make recovery disk or bootable virus scanner disk? not sure...
    Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated.

Re: Boot disc with virus scanner

hi,
    Viruscan does however protect your PC from boot up.The Viruscan boot disk mentioned in older versions does not apply to NTFS file systems, which most PCs are using these days.
    You can check this by going to My Computer, clicking the View tab then "Choose Details" and opting for "File System"

If you do reformat and reinstall, you'll be erasing everything - including any viruses. If you rebuild the system in the correct order, you can stay safe from the beginning and be virus-free.

The problem is that this erases everything, including all your programs and data. If you've backed up properly, as you should, this shouldn't cause you too much grief. On the other hand, if you're like too many people, losing all that data may be a real problem.

The most popular Linux Live CD is Knoppix. This article from "Knoppix Hacks" describes using Knoppix to perform a Virus Scan.

Another promising Live CD is Ubuntu. Ubuntu's Live CD doubles as its install CD, should you ever want to switch.

The great thing about all of these bootable CDs is that once you do boot, even if you can't perform he virus scan, you can still examine your Windows hard disk and possibly repair problems by hand, or at least recover files before taking more drastic action.

Connect a USB hard drive to your computer Save onto it your important files, such as documents, emails and favorites.
    Use your Install disc to format your hard drive and reinstall your operating system. Discover which virus strain it is, this usually is indicated by the anti-virus. Do a search on a reliable search engine like google, for the "virus name", with "removal" followed after it. The specific virus removal tool can be downloaded for free, and used it with ease. Restart the computer, and boot into "safe mode". Run the removal tool in "safe mode", remembering to follow any given instructions to the letters. Note these instructions are on the site where the tool was downloaded from. Additionally, you can look for a free antivirus software and use it to remove the virus. If this cannot help to get rid of the virus from your computer, the last thing you can do is to contact the computer manufacturer or reinstall the system either yourself or an expert.