Thread: Blank Media Problem

Blank Media Problem

Whenever I put any cd into the cd drive and then double click on it from the my computer, It tells me it is blank and gives me a box to enter the name for the cd session to be burned.

I know this is a problem with windows explorer because If i need to run something off a cd, i can open command prompt and read the cd from there and start the necessary exe. Explorer also knows that this cd has information on it because it reports the correct cd size, but for some reason it still trys to open the cd as a blank burnable cd.

How to fix this problem?

Please Help..........!

Re: Blank Media Problem

If it were a factory-stamped disk, then there should be no problem. But if a home-burnt disk, then likely the burn process wasn't closed properly.. leaving an "open" or unfinished burn session.

No, It's not a burn problem... it's a problem with explorer. I have tested that. It does it with all disks... i think all disks not wriiten to the factory can be written to, but if i use anything else i can read it fine. Explorer just wants to burn to anything. Using command prompt I can get to the cd fine and read from the disks. Programs can read the disks as well.

Look in Device manager for any problems with the ROM drives...

"This device is working properly."

Its not the device... it has something to do with windows explorer or something. It's not a big deal I use linux most of the time anyways... It is just an annoyance that is all.

Start the system from a cold state, in 'safe' mode.
    Go into the Control Panel/System icon. Bring up the Hardware/Device Manager page. There will be the "tree" of all hardware. Expand the branch for the optical drives. If any device is listed that is not physically there, delete it. And check the Properties/Driver for the actual device.

No extra drives. I don't know what explorer's problem is but it is not that

What program is associated with burning disks? Possibly an add-on has linked to the IE program for prompting a burn process with any optical disk?
    And what specific version of IE is in use? If IE 7 series, have seen recent warnings about it being worse than IE 6.5.. and a security flaw that allows hackers to sneak into your system!
    IE 7 bugs!

I use an old version of nero (nero 7) and I use IE 7. Is IE tied to the windows file explorer?

The thing is it is not nero that is asking to burn to a disk... it is the windows explorer (right from my computer)

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

Try this... It usually involves code39 driver errors, but I have found it to resolve other issues with ROM drives....