Thread: IE8 causes 100% CPU usage

IE8 causes 100% CPU usage

Hey guys!
    I have a major issue with Windows XP SP2 and IE8... Whenever i start IE8, it makes everything freeze including mouse pointer... It stays till approx 5 min till IE8 load completes...! But i don't have this issue with IE8 when installed in Windows Vista Ultimate...!? Can anyone help me?

Re: IE8 causes 100% CPU usage

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription up to date? Which anti-spyware applications or similar software were installed? What third-party firewall if any do you use? Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed any version of IE8?

Hey!
    Did you start IE8 in No Add-ons mode? Try it out... then see what happens? Have you ever installed Norton Antivirus or McAfee antivirus? These softwares will make you loose the performance...!

Thanks for the suggestions, but nothing helped... Running in no add-ons mode makes no difference, does not appear to be an add-on at fault. Tried running the rest application and it did not fail but IE still takes 5 minutes to load. It appears to have successfully rest all settings...!
    I'll Use Mozilla Firefox...!

vnvnvn2000 Guest

An overloaded CPU can cause 100% cpu usage. If the CPU spikes happen rarely and correct themselves quickly, don't worry about it. Such as IE or firefox browing internet, click Audio Video Interleaved (AVI), Right-Click an item in Explorer. For those of you with issues where you get 100% cpu usage on startup for a couple of minutes, the culprit is most likely windows updates. Disable that (use manual only) and your boot-ups will be much, much faster.
    But if they keep coming back or cpu usage 100% all the time and your computer run slow, you have to find out what's wrong and fix it. Maybe your computer have other problems - Registry Errors. That's because everyday computer use causes “sludge” to build-up in your Registry. This creates system errors which slow down your PC... and the more Registry errors your computer generates, the slower it gets.

i had same problem with xp home sp3 after ie8 install: ie8 a slug to load, slow browsing and huge 100% increase in CPU usage that did not go away at all - these problems were not there before ie8 install. Task Mangaer did not tell me much other than cpu running 100%.

Interesting that the high cpu load problem was not present in safe mode.

Guessed it was a driver issue so i unistalled modem and driver and booted up. ie8 loaded up fast and surf net was fast. ie8 problem solved ... But, cpu still running 100%.

Downloaded Process Explorer tool from www.sysinternals.com and this showed the cpu problem was caused by System Idle Hardware Interrupts 43% and Deferred Proceedure Calls 39%. So system was tied up doing something.

Following driver issue logic open verifier.exe (dont know if its in Vista) from Search - then clicked icon to open the tool - then scrolled through to Automatically select unsigned drivers - checked them all were pukka (all were linked to my EZ antivirus) so I enabled them - rebooted and cpu usage was back to the usual 4% - ie8 (and f/f) load up fine and problem has gone.

Had a read of the Microsoft Knowledge base article on how to use the Driver Verifier Manager tool in xp.

so this may be why you have no problem in Vista but a problem in xp.
    hope this helps and fix works for you too.