Thread: How can I transfer Outlook address book to another PC ?

How can I transfer Outlook address book to another PC ?

Hello everyone,

I just bought a new computer, and I recover my outlook address book and transfer it onto my new machine.

The OS of the 2 machines is windows XP, 2 outlook is version 2003.

I tried using the export data in Outlook, but when I copy the PST file on another machine that has messed up, that to create a new contact list that I can not turn into a priority When I click the icon to access my address book it shows blank. I hope to be quite clear it is not easy to explain, but if anyone can help me this would be nice.

Thank you all

Re: How can I transfer Outlook address book ?

Have look at similar types of threads with good solutions :

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...il/1092575.htm
    http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...ail/921689.htm

and also refer this Microsoft help guides:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829919

Hope i have help you. good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

There is no need to export! just find the file .pst files and replace it by that the .pst files on another computer, if you have same versions installed on both machines.

To export contacts from Outlook 2003 and 2007 to another PC:

First Copying the File
    1. Go to File and then Import and Export.
    2. From the list, choose Export to a file and then click Next.
    3. From the list, choose Person Folder file (.pst). I prefer to export it out as a PST file so that it can easily be imported into another Outlook, even of a different version.
    4. Now you’ll get a list of all of your folders, including the Inbox, Calendar, RSS feeds, etc. Click on Contacts since we want to export Outlook contacts only. If you have created other contact folders inside the main contact folder, be sure to check off the Include subfolders box.
    5. Click Next and then choose the location for your backup file. Make sure to browse to some other location as Microsoft defaults to a hidden folder. Click Finish and you’re done!

Restoring the File on Another Computer :

1. Insert the storage device(on which you have backup) into the new computer. Open Outlook and select "Import" from the "File" menu.
    2. Choose "Other Address Book" or "Import from another program or file," depending on which version of Outlook you are using. Click "Next."
    3. Make sure "Comma Separated Values (Windows)" is highlighted. Click "Next."
    4. Click "Browse" to navigate to the storage device and the file you copied from the other computer. Highlight it and click "OK." Choose your preference regarding duplicates, and click "Next."
    5. Highlight "Contacts." Click "Next," and then click "Finished."

Re: How can I transfer Outlook address book to another PC ?

Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 does not recognise the .pst file that I want to import. It cannot see it on the flash drive or the desktop.
    Please help.....

Quote Originally Posted by thewaycm View Post
    Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 does not recognise the .pst file that I want to import. It cannot see it on the flash drive or the desktop.
    Please help.....
    Check if the PST file is write protected. Right click on the file and select Properties. Make sure "Read Only" is not checked.

PST over LAN is not supported and sometimes does not work. Copy the PST to local computer. Then try to access with Outlook.

Hope this helps!

No, the file is neither 'read only' nor 'hidden'. I have copied the file from the flash drive to the desktop of the laptop that I want to import the file onto.
    The original file is from Outlook 2003 (I think) and the laptop is running 2007.
    Thank you for your help.....

Andrew says:
    The instructions are a bit misleading.
    When you are at the stage you want to import the .pst file you should select import from another program or file:
    select file type to import from:
    Personal folder file (.pst)
    then select the .pst file with all the information from your PC.
    TROUBLE IS NOW at the final stage of importation a window opens in Outlook 2007 saying:
    ‘The Personal Folders file (.pst) is already in use in the current profile’
    Don't give up on me now guys, we are almost there!

To back up the whole .pst file, follow these steps:
    1. Start Outlook. To locate the .pst file where Outlook items are stored, right-click Outlook Today in the Folder List, and then click Properties for folder name on the shortcut menu. Note that folder name is the display name of the current .pst file. Then, click Advanced.

2. In the Path box, note the location of the .pst file. In Microsoft Windows, the default path for the .pst file is as follows:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst
      The path that you see in the Path box may be different on your computer. The .pst file can be stored anywhere on your hard disk. If you have defined other .pst files for storage of Outlook items, and you want to back them up, use the same procedure to locate the path of each .pst file.

Click Cancel two times to close the dialog boxes.

3. On the File menu, click Exit to quit Outlook.

4. Make a copy of the file that you that noted in step 2. For more information about how to perform this task in Windows, see the Windows printed documentation or online Help. If you are using a backup program, see its documentation for the method that you should use to include the .pst file in your backup set.

• Ensure that your PST files don't have the same name.
    • Open Outlook and use File > Open to open your PST.
    • Don't Import. This has been occasionally known to cause problems or even corruption of the PST files.
    • If you find problems with the PST, consider running scanpst.exe to look for and repair errors.

ThumbsUp Re: How can I transfer Outlook address book to another PC ?

Here I found an application called "GodswMobile Contacts Transfer" for Windows Mobile phone to transfer mobile contacts to your computer or to other mobile phones, such as iphone and android phone. So you could transfer hundreds of contacts to new mobile in 5 minutes.

GodswMobile Contacts Transfer is a simple program designed for mobile phone running Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0/6.1/6.5.

It can transfer contacts from cellphone to pc;Transfer both sim card contacts and outlook contacts;Transfer contacts customizer photos and ringtones;Manager contacts on pc.

In a word, you can backup and manage mobile contacts easily on your pc with GodswMobile Contacts Transfer.

GodswMobile Contacts Transfer V2.0
    Key Features:
    * Transfer both sim card contacts and mobile outlook contacts;
    * Including an app for PC to view,add,delete,modify and print contacts;
    * Restore contacts to any other windows mobile phones;
    * Export contacts as txt, csv,vcf(vCard) format;
    * Backup contacts pictures and ringtones;
    * Support unlimited contacts backup/restore;
    * Support VGA and WVGA Screen (such as HTC Touch HD/2 and Diamond/2).

Google "GodswMobile Contacts Transfer" to free download a Contacts tool.

Using Outlook address book data can be shortly transfered. Follow this steps start outlook<Click email accounts on the tools menu<under the directory select the change the location of the address book <click next. Type the path of wab files <after that click to finish. If it is expired session then wab recovery is necessary after then only you can change the location.