Thread: Can i backup msn emoticons?

Can i backup msn emoticons?

Hello friends,
    I have lots of emoticons in my msn messenger. I need to format my system and i don't want to loose them all. So how can i back up all the emoticons in msn? Anyone know?

All suggestions are welcome.

Re: Can i backup msn emoticons?

Go to "Windows Explorer" and search for this directory/folder "CustomEmoticons"
    The files in here consist of a "map.dat" which will map all the pictures for your msn to use them.

ALTERNATIVE you can find this directory under
    C:\Documents and settings\you user name\application data\microsoft\MSN Messenger\246...\CustomEmoticons
    The picture files are "TFR***.dat"... Try renaming them to "TFR***.gif" and you will see the picture with any viewer.

So you can actually copy all the "TFR***.dat" files from a pc, rename them to "*.gif" and add them onto another pic with the "create" option under emoticons of MSN.

ConCon Retriever is a simple software tool that allows users
    easy access to MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger contents and items, which include smilies, custom emoticons, emotions, Display Picture (aka avatar or user tile), messenger background, wink, Deluxe Display Picture (mood, meego or muggin) and dynamic background. With ConCon Retriever, all these contents can be downloaded, backed up or copied to local disk and used freely, especially to restore them when you have reformatted, reinstalled, accidentally deleted, or bought a new computer.

Find them on following location:
    C:\Documents and settings\you user name\application data\microsoft\MSN Messenger\folder with your account's name\object store.

You can backup all your MSN stuff with Icon Backup. Icon Backup allows you to save, backup, recover, and share your Windows Live Messenger images, avatars, backgrounds, and emoticons.

bmn Guest

You can also take a look at the msn emoticon backup program which can do what you're asking. You can also take a look at the other available tools and programs in the emoticon section of the website. Using these programs is much easier than copying the files manually yourself, and there is a considerably lower chance of an error occuring. Good luck