Thread: Recover MS Paint, Fax, Calculator, Games

Recover MS Paint, Fax, Calculator, Games

Yesterday, MS Paint, Fax, Calculator, Games, and other optional MS programs suddenly dissappeared. I also tried to reinstall as I can view required files for example, MSPAINT.EX_ in both the C: drive Under I386 and the D: drive with the back up disk, but the installation program says the file is present.

I also tried to unistall Paint and Fax, but the same kind of error is coming again and again. the micrsosoft installer refuses to recognize all those little files for both installation or unistallation.

Please provide appropriate solution regarding this

Re: Recover MS Paint, Fax, Calculator, Games

1. Uncheck the boxes for each component in Add/Remove Windows components. Go back to list screen and click "Next". The UNinstaller removed the components that were unchecked.
    2. Rebooted. Replaced check mark in each component in Add/Remove Windows components and went back to list screen and clicked "Next". The installer ran and this time, for the first, it asked for the Windows CD.
    3. Put Windows CD in drive and installation completed.
    4. Rebooted and all programs returned.
    Apparently they were installed but not accessible? They had to be uninstalled to install again. The missing step was to run the Add/Remove components (un)installer after removing the check marks from the boxes. That would not have occurred to me at first as they did not appear to be on the system.

add/remove programs. to your left select add/remove windows componets and reinstall paint

There should be a copy of MSPaint.exe in the C:\Windows\System32 folder and the C:\Windows\System32\dll cache folder. Just use one of them and create a shortcut and drag & drop it into the C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories folder.

Below are steps on how you can install or uninstall mspaint.
    Click Start / Settings / Control Panel
    Double-click Add Remove Programs
    Click the Windows Setup Tab
    Double-click the Accessories icon and
    Check or uncheck paint depending upon if you want to install / uninstall mspaint

When prompted for a diskette, insert your Windows CD or try pointing to "C:\windows\options\cabs" (depending on how Windows was installed on your computer this directory may not exist). If this directory does not exist on your hard disk drive you will need your CD.