Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009

Files associated with incompatible programs?

My some of the files are associated with incompatible programs so that whenever I click the file to open, the program does not support retrieving the file. How do I change the type of the program so that the files compatible with it opens directly when I click once?
Old 12-03-2009

Re: Files associated with incompatible programs?

There is a very simple method to change the type of the program you need to set for a file:

• Right click the file
  • Click 'open with'
  • Click browse
  • Navigate the list of the programs and select the program you want for the file to open.
  • Click open
Old 12-03-2009

When you click on a file type and it opens with a program that cannot view it,
say for example: you want to open a DOC file and Windows Media Player trys to open it, which you wont be able to view it.
To associate a proper file extension find a DOC file >> hold the shift key down and double click on it >> The Open With dialog window will be displayed.
Now select the program you want to open the file with, in this case you would select Wordpad or Word. Place a check mark in the box "Always open with" and click "Open".
Now all your DOC files will open with Wordpad.
Old 12-03-2009

Follow the 3 steps :

1. Right-click your problematic file and select Open With from the pop-up menu.
Windows names a few programs you’ve used to open that file in the past.

2. Click Choose Default Program and select the program you want to open the file.
The Open With window lists many more programs. If you spot your favorite program, you could double-click it to open your file immediately. But that wouldn’t prevent the same problem from recurring.
If Windows doesn’t list your favorite program anywhere on its list, you have to look for it. Choose Default Programs, click the Browse button, and navigate to the folder containing the program you want.

3. Select the Always Use the Selected Program to Open This Kind of File check box and click OK.
That box makes Windows return top-billing status to your selected program.

TechArena Community > Software > Windows Software
Tags: , ,