Thread: How to perform XP Backup using recordable optical media?

How to perform XP Backup using recordable optical media?

I want to ask is there any way that I can perform my Windows backup to any of the recordable optical media such as CDs or DVDs instead of coping a bulk data into another drive(everytime when I need backup)..

Re: How to perform XP Backup using recordable optical media?

Windows XP's Backup utility does not allow you to directly select any type of recordable optical media (i.e., CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, or DVD-RW) as a backup destination—even though you can copy files to recordable optical media from within Windows Explorer.

There is a mechanism that will allow you to indirectly make the Backup utility use recordable optical media as a backup destination.
    In this mechanism, you direct the Backup utility to save the backup file in the CD Burning spool folder. You can then burn the backup to your recordable optical media.
    Here's how:

>Launch Backup.
    >Select the Backup tab and choose the files that you want to back up.
    >Choose File from the Backup Destination drop-down list.
    >In the Backup Media or File Name text box, type the following path:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Backup.bkf

where <user name> is the name of your user profile folder and Backup.bkf is the name of the backup file.

You can perform backup utility for your Windows by using recordable optical media as mentioned...
    However some more useful information:
    As soon as the backup starts, you'll see a balloon appear in the notification area that alerts you that you have files waiting to be written to the CD. Once the backup is complete, click the balloon to open Windows Explorer and then click the Write These Files To CD command in the CD Writing Tasks section of the task pane.

Note: The only drawback to this technique is that you cannot make Backup span large backup files across multiple CDs. As such, you'll need to ensure that your backup file will fit on one CD.