Thread: svchost.exe

svchost.exe

I am running windows xp service pack 3

A few days ago I downloaded a video and the license to watch it. The video did not work I thought I removed the video and the license. Yesterday morning when I started my computer I got the following messages among others that were similar.

svchost.exe error 0x75606eb5 reference could not read memory at 0x0000008
    svchost.exe error 0x77d05d37 reference could not read memory at 0x0000000
    svchost.exe error 0x7c910cae reference could not read memory at 0x0000000

another message popped up from ATI Grphics:
    You do not have permission to change Catalyst control center

The first remedy I tried was system restore. It told me i was unable to do so. Restart and try again. After several failed attempts I went to:
    Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and tried to manually start System restore. It will not start.

I have had problems with my automatic update for awhile so I have it set to manual because it never downloads the updates anyway. About a week ago I started getting automatic update notices. It did not strike me as odd until these other issues arose. I turned my automatic update back from automatic to manual.

I tried to download windows defender and when I try to download it you must validate your copy of windows. It will not download the plug-in. In fact it redirects the page to something completely different. I thought this was a fluke but 80% of the time when I click on a link it redirects the page to something completely unrelated. I am also getting pop-ups. I never get pop-ups.

I downloaded Zonealarm and it will not connect to update definitions. I downloaded super antispyware, it will not run the setup. I have Norton and it will not connect to live update. I read somewhere to try malware bytes, it downloaded and ran the set-up but will not open the program.

I am running short on ideas.m Please help.

Re: svchost.exe

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services allows for better control and easier debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Svchost

To view the list of services that are running in Svchost:

1. Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.

The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services allows for better control and easier debugging.

Svchost.exe groups are identified in the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Svchost
    Each value under this key represents a separate Svchost group and appears as a separate instance when you are viewing active processes. Each value is a REG_MULTI_SZ value and contains the services that run under that Svchost group. Each Svchost group can contain one or more service names that are extracted from the following registry key, whose Parameters key contains a ServiceDLL value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Service
    To view the list of services that are running in Svchost: Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
    Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.
    Click Start on the Windows taskbar, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type CMD, and then press ENTER.
    Type Tasklist /SVC, and then press ENTER.
    Tasklist displays a list of active processes. The /SVC switch shows the list of active services in each process. For more information about a process, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    Tasklist /FI "PID eq processID" (with the quotation marks)

The registry setting for the two groupings for this example are as follows:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost:
    Netsvcs: Reg_Multi_SZ: EventSystem Ias Iprip Irmon Netman Nwsapagent Rasauto Rasman Remoteaccess SENS Sharedaccess Tapisrv Ntmssvc
    RApcss :Reg_Multi_SZ: RpcSs

Hey... Seems like there have been some virus like activity on your computer, its advisable to format your system drive and install an antivirus first. Update the antivirus and scan the remaining drivers for virus. Might help you...!
    All the best!