Thread: Files and some Programs getting deleted automatically

Files and some Programs getting deleted automatically

Hello,
    Here is my problem: I had huge problems, it is 2 times that it happens, I noticed that the files and some programs were deleted from my computer.
    At first I thought it was a virus but I am beginning to have doubts because I had no warning.
    So all files were deleted on the primary hard disk (or there are windows) and the other 3 have not been affected.
    I restart the computer to access the menu of relocation to restore windows to a previous state and there, what was my surprise to see only 2 options: either run a test, or reinstall the original partition.
    Seeing this, I decide to do nothing and the computer restarts.
    and this is what the message appears:
    Windows Boot Manager / Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix problem:
    1 insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2 choose language settings and then click "Next"
    3 Click "Repair your computer"
    bla bla bla and finally
    file: \ Boot \ BCD
    Info: an error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

I wanted to know if "windows installation disc" is the disk on which the serious partition to reinstall the original settings of the computer is to be done and if that's what deleted files.
    how does it happens and whether a virus or something else is there I dont know and this is the 2nd time it happens in 3 days.
    Thank you in advance.

Re: Files and some Programs getting deleted automatically

Are you using domain or workgroup in your network or have you kept the file on sahred drives? If it is domain, you must have set a permission for a user to delete the file or full permission, also with the workgroup. You can set the file as a READ ONLY and the folder sharing to be limited. It is impossible that a file will be deleted if nobody altered it.

Try checking your network permissions. Probably ordinary users are quite unaware that they have clicked-and-dragged the file or worse, deleted it without them knowing.

Take care

I think there might be a virus or some nasties installed on your computer. Download Hijackthis and post your report here: HijackThis - How to use HijackThis? What it dose?

Have you run any script that is deleting your files as per you have scheduled it?

First thing I'd suspect is a failing disk. Unlikely if it's multiple computers though.

Other than that, possibilities are malware or a disgruntled user.

I'd suggest that you initial line of defence be to turn on auditing if available. You could also setup NTFS permissions that prevent files being deleted once they've been created. Any file deletions on the server would then have to be referred to a supervisor.