Thread: Converting Vista 64bit with 32bit Ultimate Upgrade Disk

Converting Vista 64bit with 32bit Ultimate Upgrade Disk

From what I understand, you can't convert Vista 64bit to 32bit, it requires a clean installation. So with that said, if I have a computer with Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 disk and then a Windows Vista Ultimate upgrade disk, with both 64 bit and 32bit, how can I convert it to 32bit?

Re: Converting Vista 64bit with 32bit Ultimate Upgrade Disk

Thanks for those resources but that doesn't exactly answer my question.

Here's the full story. I have a Dell Laptop that came with a Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 disk just incase I need to format it or whatever else. I then bought a Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade that includes a 64bit upgrade disk and a 32bit upgrade disk. I've already gone ahead and upgraded the laptop with the 64bit disk, not thinking that it would impact anything here at work but it has. So now I need to figure out how to convert it to 32bit but from what I understand, you can't do that unless it's a fresh install. So with that said, a fresh install of what? Do I format it with my Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 disk and then upgrade it to Ultimate with the 32bit disk, rather than the 64bit disk that I used the first time?

Am I making any sense? I'm starting to confuse myself! =)

You cannot convert from 64bit to 32bit due to the vast difference in programming. 64bit operating systems can run 32bit programs by emulating a 32bit environment, even its Internet explorer (by default) is the 32bit one.Go to task manager and view Processes, you will then see everything running on your PC. Anything with *32 on the end is not a 64bit program.

Quote Originally Posted by rmiman View Post
    Thanks for those resources but that doesn't exactly answer my question.

Here's the full story. I have a Dell Laptop that came with a Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 disk just incase I need to format it or whatever else. I then bought a Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade that includes a 64bit upgrade disk and a 32bit upgrade disk. I've already gone ahead and upgraded the laptop with the 64bit disk, not thinking that it would impact anything here at work but it has. So now I need to figure out how to convert it to 32bit but from what I understand, you can't do that unless it's a fresh install. So with that said, a fresh install of what? Do I format it with my Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 disk and then upgrade it to Ultimate with the 32bit disk, rather than the 64bit disk that I used the first time?

Am I making any sense? I'm starting to confuse myself! =)
    if you understand the meaning of updating....then your problem is solved if you are using a genuine o.s.....in 64 bit you can run and install both x86(32bit)and x64 applications,games etc.... update it then you will see the difference.... i'll advice stick with your 64-bit.................reply if you have a problem with your 64 bit i might help you...thanks.....jansil666@yahoo.com