Thread: How to set restore feature in Windows ME?

How to set restore feature in Windows ME?

I have Windows Millenium as my operating system.
    I had unintensionally made major changes to my ME operating system and left it in an undesirable state.
    How to I undo these changes? Is there any restore facility?

Re: How to set restore feature in Windows ME?

Yes, there is a System Restore utility in Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

System Restore is designed to automatically monitor and record changes made to the core Windows system files and to the registry.

System Restore can then allow you to undo (or "roll back") a change that caused instability in your system.

This is accomplished by periodically recording a "Restore Point" (or System CheckPoint) that gives you the ability to roll your system back to the point in time when your computer was known to function properly.

There is a feature called "System Restore" , which is unique to Windows Me, monitors changes you've made to your system at specific intervals, called restore points or checkpoints, as well as when events such as program installations occur.
    There are several types of restore points, or the point to which you tell Windows Me to return your system's settings. Windows Me automatically creates some of these for you, and you can also create your own.

Follow these steps to create your own checkpoint.
    Click the Start button and choose Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore.----The System Restore dialog box opens and provides you with options to restore your system to an earlier time by selecting one of the automatic checkpoints the feature has created for you or to create a checkpoint of your own.----Select the Create A Restore Point option and click Next.----In the Create A Restore Point window, type a name for your checkpoint in the Restore Point Description text box.----Make the name descriptive so that you'll easily recognize it should you need it later on.----Click Next.----In the Confirm New Restore Point window, you'll be prompted to verify the accuracy of the checkpoint you just created.----Your new checkpoint contains the date and time you created it, as well as the name you gave it in the previous step.----If you need to make any changes to the checkpoint, click the Back button.----If not, click OK to confirm your new checkpoint.----You now have a built-in safety net to use should you ever find your computer in a disastrous state.

To Start and Use System Restore
    To start System Restore, follow these steps:
    • Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore.

The first time you use System Restore, there are two options on the Welcome page:
    1. Restore my computer to an earlier time
    2. Create a restore point

• Click Restore my computer to an earlier time and click Next.

A calendar appears.

• In the calendar, choose which Restore Point to roll your system back to.

• Click Next.

You are prompted to close all applications before completing the Restore process because the computer will restart.

• Upon completion of the restart, a confirmation screen appears. Click OK to continue using your computer.

The next time you start System Restore, you will see a third option, Undo my last restoration. This is available in the event that the Restore Point you rolled back to does not correct the original problem that you were having and so you can easily get back to the point in time that you started troubleshooting.