Thread: Right-click "Send to Mail Recipient" being overridden by MS Outlook

Right-click "Send to Mail Recipient" being overridden by MS Outlook

How do I set Windows Live Email as my default email client ? Everytime when I click "Send to Mail Recipient" option it goes to MS outlook although it is not configured on my computer.

Re: Right-click "Send to Mail Recipient" being overridden by MS Outlook

To make sure Windows Mail is your default email program and picks up all requests to send and read mail:
    1. Press Windows-R.
    2. Type "winmail /reg" (excluding the quotation marks).
    3. Click OK.
      Nothing will appear on screen. Do not be alarmed. Wait for ten seconds or so to make sure the process has finished.
    4. Select Control Panel from the Start menu.
    5. Go to Programs.
    6. Click Set your default programs.
    7. Highlight Windows Mail under Programs.
    8. Click Set this program as default.
    9. Click OK.

The method of Setting the default e-mail program is slightly different between XP and Vista.

To set Windows Live Mail as default:

Ensure Windows Live Mail is set as the default e-mail program in all the relevant places as follows:

Firstly, Microsoft Outlook can silently steal some of the the e-mail defaults when you open it, so if you have Outlook installed, uncheck the option: "Make Outlook the default program for E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar" at Tools -> Options... -> Other [tab] in Outlook.

In Vista, apart from making WLMail the default Mail and News handler at WLMail's Tools->options...->General [tab], also set all its defaults through: Start Orb -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs [tab] -> Set programs [button] -> Set your default programs -> Windows Live Mail, and Windows Live Mail (news).

Also, follow that up by going to: Start Orb -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs [tab] -> Set programs [button] -> Set program access and computer defaults -> Custom, and check "Windows Live Mail" under "Choose a default e-mail program :"

In XP, apart from making WLMail the default Mail and News handler at WLMail's Tools -> options... -> General [tab], also set all its defaults through: Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Programs [tab].

Also, follow that up by going to: Start -> Set Program Access and Defaults -> Custom, and check "Windows Live Mail" under "Choose a default e-mail program :"

You can work out how to set Microsoft Outlook as the default e-mail program from the above method.

To correct the problem, go to Default Programs, which you can reach either from the Start menu or the Control Panel, then click the first item: "Set your default programs." After a few seconds a list of programs comes up. Click on Windows Mail. If all is well, it will respond "This program has all its defaults." If it reports less than all (3) of its defaults, fix it by selecting one of the two options indicated by green arrows.

@ Sam.D

I have tried as you suggested but I didnt get the option of Windows mail in the programs. How is it that the option is not there when I have already configured it! How can I get the option of Windows mail there so that I can set it as the default mail client.

Thank you and others for helping me.

To reinstate Windows Mail entry to the default programs listing, follow these steps:
    • Download mailclients.reg from the Attachments section below, and save to Desktop

• Right-click mailclients.reg and choose Merge

• If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation

• Click Yes to continue.

Thank you very much. That was a super solution. I got the Windows mail option now and I have set the Windows mail as the default mail client. Now it is working fine Thank you all.