Thread: install USB driver?

install USB driver?

I have recently purchased new printer and tried to install a USB driver for printer and turns out that it was losing every USB port I plugged the printer into. When I plug the printer into a USB port, the "Unplug or eject hardware" icon shows in the sys tray.When I plug it into a different port that works (originally), it tries to install the USB drivers, but it fails to install everytime.

Is anything wrong with the USB drivers.

Re: install USB driver?

In device manager, click view "show hidden devices". Then uninstall everything that shows up under "Universal serial devices" . You'll probably be surprised at the number of greyed out entries. Then reboot and enter your bios. In the bios, make sure your USB ports are configured to USB 2.0 if you have a board that has USB 2.0. Then exit bios and enter window. Windows should reinstall your USB drivers.

If your drivers still don't install correctly, then you'll have to get new drivers for your motherboard from the boards manufacturer.

Windows XP maintain caches of the most popular driver and DLL files. Commonly, Windows will locate the files it requires in this cache.
    The Windows installation CDs are available on CFS to assist with driver installations. You should replace the suggested location in the Copy files from field with the following:
    \\cfs.le.ac.uk\Root\Support\Drivers\Current-xp-i386\i386

When you have entered the driver files location, click on the OK button to continue. In the Username field, type CFS\<your CFS username> and in the Password field, enter your CFS password.

Files will be copied from one of the CFS servers to your PC hard disk; you will be alerted if there are any errors. Your newly added printer will be visible in the Printers window.

To install the USB driver, simply:

* All your input devices must be working under Windows (i.e. the old version of the USB driver must not be running, the device should not be disabled etc.)
    * You must be Administrator.
    * Select "System" from the control panel. If "System" is not visible, click "Select classic view" at the left of the window.
    * Select the "Hardware" tab.
    * Click "Device Manager".
    * Expand the "Mice and other pointing devices"-tree.
    * Double-click on the desired input device.
    * Select the "Driver" tab.
    * Click "Update Driver".
    * Make sure "Install from a list or specific location" is checked.
    * Click "Next"
    * Make sure "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install" is checked.
    * Click "Next".
    * Click "Have Disk".
    * Select the correct location (This is typically C:\Program Files\CPN Tools\Mouse driver).
    * Click "Ok".
    * Select the correct "CPN Tools mouse filter driver" (For USB and serial devices the correct is auto-detected, for PS/2 devices, all of USB, Serial and PS/2 are available; select PS/2 in this case).
    * Click "Next".
    * Click "Yes".
    * Click "Continue Anyway".
    * Click "Finish".