Thread: How to sync outlook on 2 windows (dual boot)

How to sync outlook on 2 windows (dual boot)

Hello everyone!
    Here is my little question, is it possible to sync outlook on 2 windows installed on the same machine (dual boot)?
    Thank you

Re: How to sync outlook on 2 windows (dual boot)

You can maybe just use the same. Pst on sessions.
    But you can also set Outlook to keep the mail on the server.
    Tools / Accounts => Edit Btn => advanced settings Btn => 3 or 4 ° tab:
    "Leave copy of mail on server" checkbox
    "Delete from server after XX days" possibly check.

The cleaner is the same as the PST

When using Windows 2000/XP, Outlook stores *.pst, *.ost, *.msnpst, *.pab, *.oab, and extend.dat in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. Extend.dat, Hotmail, IMAP, and MSN Connector message stores can not be moved.

All other Outlook configuration files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and cannot be moved.

Tip: Copy and paste these lines in Windows Explorer address bar to open the folder:
    To access the folder holding the toolbar, VBA, rules, and nickname files, paste:
    %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
    To see the message store files, paste:
    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Vista uses C:\Users\username\AppData for data storage, with the Local and Roaming subfolders. Outlook 2007 File Locations has more information on the files stored in the Local and Roaming subfolders.

Viceman's approach might be right for you, but just be aware that 1) messages you send from one instance won't appear in the Sent Items folder of the other instance and 2) if you create some folders and start moving things around, the changes will be apply only to the instance in which the change was made. Rules will apply to the instance where they are created; calendar entries won't be synchronized; you'll need to synchronize your Contacts manually (if you care); ...

Another possibility you might want to consider (presuming your mail server accommodates it) is IMAP. With IMAP, you get the desired effect even when you can't get at the .pst (like when you're away from the computer that it lives on.)

@ JohnRolandElliott

Thank you for your tips and suggestions. So I think the procedure by Viceman is not so useful for me. Many important things are not synchronized

What exactly can be the benefits of IMAP? How can I do that?

i have just posted this in a fresh thread. Anyway this way works for me!

All my settings accounts et are preserved.

Using Outlook 2007 on a dual boot system with Vista Home Premium and Windows 7

Assumes that Vista already has a working copy of Outlook installed

1) install Windows on Windows 7

2) boot to Vista and UNHIDE the following directory:

users/<username>/AppsData/ (apply change to subdirectories and files)

To export Account details (to avoid setting these al up by hand)

open regedit
    1. Start > Run > type ‘regedit’
    2. Locate the following path in your ‘Registry Editor’
    3. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Outlook

Now right click on the key outlook and select option: Export and save .reg files to the root of your C drive.
    The boot windows 7
    with file explorer find the saved reg file. (The c drive will be shown with a different drive letter) double click to import.
    Then open outlook. It will report that your pst (or several incl archive) cannot be found.
    This is because the paths it is looking at have the C; infront. click ignore, go to Tools/account settings (you will see you email accounts here Magic!) click on the data files tab, click on settings and change the path to the path on the Vista drive. (possibly d: drive. rest of path will be the same.) You must have permissions to access and have remembered to unhide the Appdata folder as mentioned before.
    Do this for all the pst. files.
    Close outlook and restart.
    You will need to enter your passwords for the email accounts as passwords are not stored into .reg file! (save password ticked if you do not want to repeat this.

Finally, if you use colour categories, check your calendar to see if the have reappeared. If not, right click on the Today screen top bar (click on personal folders and the Today screen will appear) and press Properties and the "upgrade to colour"

voila! done. (I then install my preferred free add in XOBNI. highly recommended)