Thread: Problem with Exe files

sad Problem with Exe files

Hello Everyone,

Whenever i try to run any Exe files, it get open in Adobe Reader. I don't understand why this happen on my system. Can any one tell me that how do i get rid out of this problem? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problem with Exe files

Try the following solutions.

1. Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
    2. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types
    3. Select Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol"
    4. Click "Advanced". In the "Edit File Type" window, select "open" and click "Edit"
    5. Uncheck "Use DDE" (the dialog should then hide the lower part).
    6. Click OK for that dialog and the next one (afterwards, the "Use DDE" box is still checked but the "DDE Message" box will be cleared, as shown here)
    7. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy" (and any other protocols you want to fix)
    8. Repeat for Extension: "(NONE)" File Type: "Firefox URL"
    9. Repeat for Extension: "HTM" (or "HTML") File Type: "Firefox Document"

In Windows Explorer, when one clicks Tools--> Folder Options--> File Types tab--> selects "Folder"--> clicks the "Advanced" button--> "Edit File Type" window:

1. In the "Edit File Type" window, is the "explore" action typically included with default installations of Windows XP?

2. If yes to question 1, is the "explore" action typically ALL lowercase on default installations of Windows XP (Home version)? I would think it would normally be capitalized as "Explore". If so, do you have any ideas about what might modify explore to make it all lowercase (other than directly editing the filename via keyboard)?

3. In the "Edit File Type" window, when the "explore" action (or any other action) is selected, are the "Edit" and "Remove" buttons.

To configure the Windows Explorer File Type associations: -

1. The File Types tab of the View/Options... dialog box
    2. The Edit File Type dialog box available via View/Options/File Types/Edit.

In the Registry, an EditFlags Binary Value (4 bytes) can be used to keep users from using these dialog boxes to re-define selected associations. Of course, the user can always edit the registry itself in order to change a protected association, but the easiest way to make changes is to simply

1. Rename the associated EditFlags parameter (just add a letter to the name).
    2. Use the provided dialog boxes to make the desired changes, and
    3. Re-name the parameter back to EditFlags (assuming of course that you want to).

Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, each file extension points to a FileType definition. An EditFlags parameter may be part of this definition. Each context sensitive menu selection (defined under the FileType/shell key) may contain its own EditFlags parameter which, when present, over rides the flags defined at the higher level.