Thread: Problem with Computer System

Problem with Computer System

hi there

i am having a strange problem regarding my computer desktop. The problem is few days back my computer was infected with trojan virus and i quickly had a solution on it and removed it. But after that i am missing my desktop and my toolbar. I don't know how to recover it.
    Please help me in this problem

Any suggestion would be appreciated

Re: Problem with Computer System

For an XP operating system, right click on your mouse and click on desktop in the display properties window.
    Make sure the icons have check marks in the boxes next to icons.
    Beware of Norton- it has been known to cause problems.
    AVG is another antivirus protection and spybot search and destroy if you want spyware. They are both free.
    Also right click on bottom of screen where task bar should be and make sure the auto hide feature is not selected under properties.
    If that doesnt work plug the hard drive into the computer as the slave drive and make sure the computer is off. Start other machine up normally. The primary drive should run a check disk to your computer.

Well this is going to be fun, first and foremost when you log into Windows does anything at all come up? Secondly if you can get into My Computer or Windows Explorer (not internet explorer) I would suggest you do so, once you are in either of those you will need to click on the harddrive C:/. Next find either "documents and settings" or the "windows" directory once you log into the documents and settings folder you should see your name for logging onto the computer, click on that, next you should see a folder that says desktop, double click on that, and all of your files should be there. If that doesn't work email me and I'll be more than happy to help you out further.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

For a possible solution. That is about the taskbar not being displayed.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Is about a machine which appears to hang before the desktop is displayed. I don't think this one is relevant, but it's worth a try.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

Is most relevant if your friend just upgraded to WinXP.

See if those help- let us know of any extra info that you get. It might help us a lot to help you.

You could try restoring before you had the explorer.exe problem. If it was long ago, you might not want to do it because it looses all the data saved after the restore point chosen.

Since you don't have the taskbar, use Task Manager

press CTRL+ALT+DEL
    File>New Task (Run)
    type HDD:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

Substitue HDD for your hard drive letter name that contain your system files. (Usually C)