Thread: How do I import Quicktime MOV files into movie maker

How do I import Quicktime MOV files into movie maker

Hi,
    I have a short movie clip off my digi camera but I cannot import the video files into Movie Maker. I get the message not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported into Windows Movie Maker. The movie is in Quicktime format (.MOV) right now. Should I change my camera or is it possible to convert the file another way?

Any help, Thanks in advance.

Re: How do I import Quicktime MOV files into movie maker

Use Quicktime pro . This link will show you how to convert your .mov files. good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

Movie Maker doesn't import QuickTime. If you have the option I would use another camera that outputs AVI clips. QuickTime is a format created by Apple Computer and I'm sure there's a bunch of legal stuff if Movie Maker wanted to handle those file types.

Some Cameras, my Sony for example, output clips to MPEG and they work fine. BUT, I've heard that some users have problems importing MPEGs too.

There are programs that will convert QuickTime to AVI. Use google and search for Convert "QuickTime to AVI".

Movie Maker accepts to import the following video files : .asf, .avi, .dvr-ms, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mp2v, .wm, and .wmv. The mov files (QT movies) have to be converted to any one of the above format. Google for a converter. As far as my information goes there are many such converters which you have to buy. Some freewares are there, but they have some limitations. For example - Xilisoft mov converter can convert mov files to avi, mpeg, wmv but only for 5 minutes duration as freeware. Best format for convertion is wmv which goes well with Movie Maker.