Thread: Can’t play mp4 video with VLC Player on Windows XP

Can’t play mp4 video with VLC Player on Windows XP

I am using Windows XP service pack 3 and I downloaded VLC player today as recommended by one of my friend because I wanted to play a MP4 video. But when I try to play that video in VLC it start playing but I am not able to see any video (screen is black). When I asked my friend he told me that it should play as VLC can play any kind of video file.

I though there would be some problem with the video itself, and hence i tried playing it with Windows Media Player and it play properly. So Video is proper but there must be some kinds of problem with VLC only. Can someone let me know my I am facing this kind of problem.

Re: Can’t play mp4 video with VLC Player on Windows XP

I have been using VLC form past 3 years and I have never faced this kind of problem as till I know VLC can play all kind of files. And if you facing this kind of problem that means there would be a problem in some setting or in your computer related DirectX or something like that. Hope to see a genuine reply for you as I have seen many forums just for the sake of replying they reply any kind of stuffs. And if I get any kind of solution I will surely update it over here for you. But till the time you don’t get proper answer just try and uninstall it and again install it. If that can help you out.

I can help you out with your problem as generally this kind of problem is due to display adapter drivers. But if you don’t want to take any kind of risk by updating the driver you can change the setting in VLC so that you can play the video properly. As you are using Windows XP it can be easily done as you just have to disable Accelerated video output/Overlay video output which you can get in Tools – Preferences and in that you will have to remove the tick from Accelerated video output and click on Save. Now restart VLC players to check the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Elazar View Post
    I can help you out with your problem as generally this kind of problem is due to display adapter drivers. But if you don’t want to take any kind of risk by updating the driver you can change the setting in VLC so that you can play the video properly. As you are using Windows XP it can be easily done as you just have to disable Accelerated video output/Overlay video output which you can get in Tools – Preferences and in that you will have to remove the tick from Accelerated video output and click on Save. Now restart VLC players to check the changes.
    Hey thank you for your reply but after trying this thing I am still not able to see the video. It is the same thing which was happening before. Can you give me a better solution?

You need to change video output module. For doing this you need to go to Tools – Preferences in that you will have to select Show Settings to All and then click on the plus sign next to Video which will get you three options in that you have to select Output module. Now in Output module you can use different modules. As you are using Windows XP try to DirectX 3D, DirectX, OpenGL and Windows GDI video output modules. Now click on Save to save your setting. And restart VLC it should work this time.