Thread: XP hangs at logo on boot

XP hangs at logo on boot

First off my rig was acting strange a month ago. Sound stuttering issues occuring. Cleaned out the drivers and reinstalled my sound card. Still got stuttering.

Decided to just format my raid array and reinstall the OS. Things were fine for a few days then the stuttering started again. Stuttering occurs only on Windows applications. Game sound is fine. Not a stutter in Call of Duty 4. Solitair stutters. Double checked and made sure the Onboard audio was disabled.

My rig was running fine at 5:00 pm yesterday. Came home around 8 pm and noticed it rebooted on its own and was hung in an error. I rebooted again and got the red warning that something was wrong with my Nvidia Raid array. Reconnected SATA cables and checked power cables to the raptors. Went into bios and noticed my back up drive was listed as first boot. Changed it back to the Raid first. Went into the Nvidia raid set up and it said Raid 0 healthy.

It booted to the XP logo with the flashing bar underneath. It just stayed there for almost 1/2 hour with the bar flashing across underneath.

No BSOD.

Got into safe mode. Ran msconfig and turned off everything that wasnt necessary.

Rebooted, Raid array healthy, XP logo with flashing bar, it still wont finish.

Any ideas?

My Rig:
    Abit AN8 32X
    FX 55
    OCZ platinum 2x1 gig dual channel
    PC Power&Cooling 750 watt
    Nvidia 7900 GS x2 SLI
    2x WD raptors raid 0
    WD 350 gig
    XFI Platinum
    Windows XP home SP3

Re: XP hangs at logo on boot

IF YOU CAN'T Convince THEM ...

CONFUSE THEM ...

Have you tried taking startup programs out of the picture....i.e. start, run, msconfig, enter, startup tab? Since you can log in with safe mode, you can do this. Uncheck one by one and try restarting to see if one of them is the issue. Well, if this happened recently your Power Supply may be going out. Another may be you RAM, but I'd bet on Power Supply for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    Have you tried taking startup programs out of the picture....i.e. start, run, msconfig, enter, startup tab? Since you can log in with safe mode, you can do this. Uncheck one by one and try restarting to see if one of them is the issue. Well, if this happened recently your Power Supply may be going out. Another may be you RAM, but I'd bet on Power Supply for now.

Thats what scares me. That would be my worst nightmare if it were my power supply. I spent alot of money on that one. That PC Power an Cooling dying would break my heart.

Plot thickens here:

I got frustrated and finally attempted a clean install. XP home recognized my Raid0 array, formatted it but couldnt begin the copy file process. kept insisting it was a drive error. (yes I hit F6 and installed the drivers during setup).
    Nvidia's raid utility recognized them as healthy, deleted and rebuilt them twice and still got errors when it attempted to copy the files on the formatted array during XP Install process.

Did finaly get XP installed on my IDE drive. Im gonna run the hardrive diagnostics later on the raptors to make sure one of them isnt shot. There only the small 36 gig ones. Would rather it be one of them than my PSU.

I have a reliable Antec 550 that I may switch in if the hardrive diagnostics say the drives are fine.

Well, I found the cause. One raptor dying.