Thread: Windows Explorer crashes opening AVI files

Windows Explorer crashes opening AVI files

Hello!
    I have a problem with some .Avi files. When I open a folder containing one or more of these files, the display is in "miniature" and Explorer crashes and closes ...Or other display (whether in "list") when I click for once, one of these files gives the same problem ...
    I read somewhere that one could disable the preview (or other term) but I had look in all the tricks, I do not see (not to "handle avi files" that must be) ...
    In short if someone has an idea, it would be great
    Thank you

PS: Message from Dr. Watson in this regard:
    The exception integer division by zero
    (0xc0000094) occurred in application location 0x039c7f60.
    Click on OK to terminate the program.
    Click Cancel to debug the program

Re: Windows Explorer crashes opening AVI files

Windows Explorer - Instability and / or greedy process
    The tracks below are to be tested after the usual controls such as verification of the system by an anti-virus update and control / eradication of any pests with Ad-Aware and Spybot.
    If the refresh of the Explorer is not done properly, the changes or movements are not immediately visible or that the files in a folder selected are slow to appear, try the following:

On the Tools menu, select Folder Options
    On the View tab, check the box Open the windows of files in a different process
    If the Explorer has a tendency to freeze during access to folders containing multimedia files or AVI DIVX, the explorer.exe process over 90% CPU in Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + Delete), a registry key is guilty. That the same one that prevents the removal or renaming of the AVI files

In Start / Run .. saisir regedit enter regedit
    Locate and safeguard key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Classes / CLSID / (87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E)
    Delete the subkey InProcServer32
    Restart the computer for the change and test applies Explorer
    The removal of this key prevents the system to extract the information contained in shmedia.dll. Rid of this task, Explorer uses fewer resources and gaining speed.
    If the previous steps did not make Explorer more stable / fast track of tasks running in the background should be explored. A selective startup with Explorer test between each reactivation of tasks could find a cause.
    If the Explorer.exe process uses lots of CPU time while the system is not applied: see file Microsoft No. 317751. This problem will be fixed by SP2, but the fix is available from Microsoft, if the specifications are met.

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent
    deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following steps:
    1) Open a command window (Start->Run, type in 'cmd' hit enter)
    2) To remove image preview, type and hit enter regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
    3) To readd image preview, type and hit enter regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    4) To remove media preview, type and hit enter regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    5) To readd media preview, type and hit enter regsvr32 shmedia.dll
    With great power comes great responsibility - Spiderman's Uncle

The Greatest Sig Ever

AVI files are indexed by WindowsXP whenever you click on them, bad/damaged/incomplete avi files can cause problems.

I disable it in XP via a registry key change, not sure about Windows 2000

Try this: http://www.ntcompatible.com/Remove_A...00_t25792.html

for XP you can get a simple tool (Windows XP AVI Fix) here: http://www.tnk-bootblock.co.uk/prods/misc/

RWindows Explorer will sometimes crash when a large .AVI file is selected.

Problem: In Windows 2000 Professional & Windows XP, Windows Explorer will sometimes crash when a large .AVI file is selected.

Cause: By default when certain file types are selected (music and video files) Windows Explorer will load them into a preview utility (which will be visible on the left side of the folder pane [the right pane]). If the file is large/abnormal then it may cause Windows Explorer to crash. This can often happen with large .AVI files.

Work around: The Windows Explorer file preview utility [in the right pane] can be switched off (customised) in 2000 & XP. Any folder which may contain large/abnormal .AVI files should be customized not to use the file preview utility. To do this just right click in a folder/file pane that might contain abnormal/large .AVI files [the right hand pane]. Then left click on ‘Customize this folder…’. Then use a template/view format which does not use the image preview utility.