Thread: Error 3057 while installing Sophos AutoUpdates

Error 3057 while installing Sophos AutoUpdates

Hi,

Here i have the trial version of Sophos but while installing autoupdates i'm getting the following error:
    error code 3057 There was an unexpected error while attempting to create, repair or delete a user account.
    How do i fix it?

Re: Error 3057 while installing Sophos AutoUpdates

This is solution provided on Sophos official site :

The installation of Sophos Anti-Virus on Windows computers fails, and an error is displayed:

Error 3057. There was an unexpected error while attempting to create, repair or delete a user account. Contact your support personnel.

This error can be caused by incorrect permissions in the registry entry HKLM\Software. The permissions configured there will be dependent upon how your system is set up and they may have been modified by other applications. Sophos components may not be able to install or upgrade if access is denied to the registry section it is trying to update or create.
    What to do

1. Open the registry entry HKLM\Software and check that the Administrators group is present. (If there is no Administrators group in the list, you must add it. Refer to your Microsoft documentation for details of how to do this.)
    2. Edit the Administrators permissions and give them full control. This should ensure the correct registry settings.
    3. Re-install Sophos Anti-Virus.

Once the permissions are set as described above, your Sophos product should install with no issues.

However, if you have made a number of attempts to install, check to see if there are multiple accounts of the type SophosSAU<computername><uniquenumber> and if so, delete them. They will have been created by the failed install processes. If they are left in place, they could cause the installer to fail again.

NOTE: If the procedure described here does not work, you may want to consider re-setting the registry entries back to the Microsoft defaults. However, doing this is an extreme measure which should only be attempted if all other procedures have failed. It resets permissions, and potentially has far-reaching consequences. If you need to do this, details are provided in the Microsoft knowledgebase.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

I also had this problem.

I shortened my computer name and gave the user installing Sophos full permissions on HKLM\Software and the product now installs fine.

First check that you have full permissions to the following registry keys:
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Sophos
    Full permissions required for 'Sophos' with 'Creator' account.
    Remove all SophosSAU{COMPUTERNAME} Accounts from the users menu and reinstall.

This should now give you a clean install and start updating.