Thread: Outlook 2003 rules failure

angry Outlook 2003 rules failure

Hey Everyone,

Whenever i'm trying to create a new rule for my Outlook 2003 it doesn't work. When i select "run rules now on messages already in this folder", nothing happens on the window screen. But then the problem occurs with the new incoming emails, it keeps on poping up the message whether the rule should apply or it should not follow the rule. Recently i have downloaded the new upgraded version of Office 2007 from the internet. Is my problem related to it? Can any one help me out to resolve this issue? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Outlook 2003 rules failure

After you upgrade your Office 2007, with multiple POP accounts, rules that are based on the through the specified account option might not work.

To work around this problem, recreate the rules in Outlook 2003.

To create a rule for POP accounts in Outlook 2003

1. On the Tools menu in Outlook 2003, click Rules and Alerts.

2. Click New Rule.

3. Click Start from a blank rule, and then click Next.

4. Under Which condition(s) do you want to check?, select the through the specified account check box, and then click the underlined value to enter the specified POP account.

5. Click Next.

6. Under What do you want to do with the message?, click Move it to the specified folder, and then click the underlined value to enter the specified folder.

7. Click Next.

8. Click Next.

9. Click Finish.

Hope so this may help you out.

The Rules Wizard for Microsoft Outlook automatically processes both incoming and outgoing messages. You set conditions similar to those used for Microsoft Outlook filters, then indicate what action(s) you want to be performed on messages that meet those conditions.

For Microsoft Exchange Server users, Rules Wizard automatically converts rules created with the Inbox Assistant feature (which Rules Wizard replaces).
    Edit/Delete Message

When you create a rule, the Rules Wizard stores the rule settings (conditions, actions, and exceptions) in a .rwz file with the same name as the user’s profile. For rules for incoming messages, it also stores that information in the Inbox folder itself, with an indicator of what profile created the rule. This means that the details of the rule are available to the server.

When a message arrives, the server compares it with the list of rules. If the server can execute the rule, it does so. If not, it places a deferred action message (DAM) in a hidden Deferred Action folder in the mailbox.

When the user runs Outlook, the client checks the Deferred Action folder and examines each DAM. If the rule was created with the current profile, Outlook carries out the actions indicated in the DAM. This helps explain why rules may fire in an order different from that listed in the Rules Wizard: If the user is not logged in, rules that run on the server execute first, while client-only rules don’t fire until the next time the user runs Outlook with the appropriate profile.

Note that if a mailbox is over its size limit, it cannot execute any rules that will send replies or forward items.