Thread: LIMEWIRE - good or bad ?

LIMEWIRE - good or bad ?

I want to know about LIMEWIRE. I mean is it good or does it really kill your computer? I recently bought a new laptop 3 months ago (with Windows Vista). I want a best software to download free stuff from Internet. Will limewire cause my computer to crash? Should I stick with limewire or should I go for some other software? PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: LIMEWIRE - good or bad ?

Limewire is good and legal.
    BUT, downloading copyrighted music is illegal.

Limewire does not have any viruses.
    People get viruses by downloading the files they have found through Limewire.

If you want only to download music using Limewire, I don't think you'll be infected. Don't download any exe files, or anything that is below 1mb.

As far as I know, Limewire has been safe on Mac OS X, though I have heard some complaints from Windows users about it (possibly) being spyware. I wouldn't be surprised if it "phoned home", especially the more recent versions.
    As far as the legality of downloading music, if the music is copyrighted, as most (popular) music is, then the short answer is- Yes, it's illegal. It's also illegal to (then) share the music, which Limewire does by default by placing the downloaded music in a "shared" folder. If you're looking for popular, licensed music to download, your best bet is one of the legit services like iTunes, Zune.net, Rhapsody.com or others- WalMart has a services as well. Also, a quick search will yield many, many free sources for downloadable music with (more) liberal licenses, and the independents and new artists often release music without (some of these) restrictions.

Of much greater concern I believe is the ethical issue of downloading (copyrighted) music, but you'll have to deal with this yourself.

I hope this was of some help to you.

I have used LimeWire. It's not so so bad, but I prefer Gluz. I think it is based heavily off of LimeWire technology and has a similar GUI to it. I like Gluz better because of the speed you get with it... If you input a search it will come up with items like crazy... Well depending on how well known the item is of course. check it out. But limewire is OK. I don't think there are spyware or adware. If so take car of them with spybot and adaware