Thread: Unable to install or uninstall any program

Unable to install or uninstall any program

Hello friends,

I am unable to install or uninstall any program. There is always a message "Another installation is already in progress". That is crazy because I have never installed or uninstalled more than 1 program at once.

Every suggestion is appreciated.

Re: Unable to install or uninstall any program

Restart your computer and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by naik.harsh View Post
    Restart your computer and try again.
    Yeah I've tried several times. I install the program right after turning on my laptop. No program is being installed or run. But it does not work as expected. That is weird.

Any suggestion?

use ctr+alt+det to get Task manager >click on processes tab > now check here which process is running with your user name. if any suspicious program running that you have not install try to scan your computer with updated anti virus.

When i experience problem with MSI engine i do a system restore in windows XP.

Here are some possibilities that you can try:

1. System restore to a point or a day before this all started.
    2. Try to log in in safe mode and see if it appears again.
    3. Can you post back the result of "netstat" over here.
    Note: Open command prompt (Start - Run - type "cmd" and press Enter) and type netstat. Copy the result of the command and paste it in your reply.
    Hope that was clear enough.

First of all try to check the whether your machine contains any kind of virus infected files.....
    carry out a thorough sacn of your pc..........
    if no virus then go to safe mode option.
    there you will find an option that boot Pc with Last known good configuration......
    if there are any incomplete installation, it will terminate all of them and work with the general installed files..

When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    This version of Windows Installer CleanUp Utility works correctly in all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. If you have an earlier version installed on your computer, I recommend that you download and install this latest version.

You must be logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator to run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Download Here

But Read this
    Trouble is the Windows Installer Clean Up utility comes as a windows install. So when you try to install it you are just going to get "Another installation is already in progress".

Digging a little deeper you may learn that the cleanup utility is just an app called msicuu.exe which is a front end to msizap.exe. You can extract both from the Windows Installer Cab file (msicuu2.exe) with a tool like WinRAR, or it is available with the support tools for the Windows OS you are using (usually on the install CD under support\tools or dowloadable from the web). That gets around the need to run the install.

[It also forms part of the Platform SDK Components for Windows Installer Developers (with a lot of other useful tools for installer work like Orca.exe which allows you to view msi files)].

msizap.exe is not for the feint-hearted. That is why Microsoft usually decently cloth it in msicuu (the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility see above). As always when playing with anything naked, be cautious. So prefer msicuu if you can. When you run msicuu it will present you with a list of failed installs, you can clean up your install if it is there. Otherwise you need to use the product code GUID with msizap

hi,
    to slove this issue install ERUNT. Let it add an entry to your Start menu during the install process. That will allow ERUNT to backup your registry each time you boot. it doesn't take too much time. Run ERUNT immediately after installing it to create a full registry backup.

Hey if you are unable to update,uninstall or install any particular software due to any missing file, then you can try out MSI cleanup utility.

* The following instructions can be used for many other applications. Here I am using Itunes as an example.

1. Download the Windows Installer Utility.

a. Log on to the internet.

b. Go to the following website: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;290301

c. Click on the link titled, "Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now"

d. Choose "Yes" to save the file to your hard drive. As a save location, choose your Desktop.

e. Click on "Save".

2. Install the Windows Installer Utility

a. Close out of any open applications.
    b. Double-click on "msicuu2.exe" which should be an icon on your Desktop.
    c. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

3. Run the Windows Installer Utility

a. Click on "Start" and select "All Programs".
    b. Look for "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility".
    c. Once open, you will be presented with a window. Locate Itunes, highlight it, and select "Remove".

Itunes should now be removed from your system.

Hope so it may resolve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by chroma View Post

2. Install the Windows Installer Utility

a. Close out of any open applications.
    b. Double-click on "msicuu2.exe" which should be an icon on your Desktop.
    c. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

Hope so it may resolve your problem.
    Thanks for your suggestion. But if I can install or uninstall program I do not need to use Windows Installer Utility. I have tried to install msicuu2.exe but that error message appears again.

Quote Originally Posted by Effren View Post
    When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
    This version of Windows Installer CleanUp Utility works correctly in all 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Microsoft Windows. If you have an earlier version installed on your computer, I recommend that you download and install this latest version.

You must be logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator to run Windows Installer CleanUp Utility

Download Here

But Read this
    Trouble is the Windows Installer Clean Up utility comes as a windows install. So when you try to install it you are just going to get "Another installation is already in progress".

Digging a little deeper you may learn that the cleanup utility is just an app called msicuu.exe which is a front end to msizap.exe. You can extract both from the Windows Installer Cab file (msicuu2.exe) with a tool like WinRAR, or it is available with the support tools for the Windows OS you are using (usually on the install CD under support\tools or dowloadable from the web). That gets around the need to run the install.

[It also forms part of the Platform SDK Components for Windows Installer Developers (with a lot of other useful tools for installer work like Orca.exe which allows you to view msi files)].

msizap.exe is not for the feint-hearted. That is why Microsoft usually decently cloth it in msicuu (the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility see above). As always when playing with anything naked, be cautious. So prefer msicuu if you can. When you run msicuu it will present you with a list of failed installs, you can clean up your install if it is there. Otherwise you need to use the product code GUID with msizap
    I extracted files in the cab by winrar, renamed the file MsiZapU.exe to MsiZap.exe then run msicuu.exe. It was not really an installation. Window installer cleanup utility appeared suddenly with list of Installed products. I selected Family safety software then clicked remove. It's amazing that this Family safety software disappeared from Add or remove program list. But actually it has still run. The icon still exists after I restart my laptop.

I ran into this problem while t/s a WinXP system. The Registry did showed a key indicating there was a current installation in progress. The other clue is that I had two services and sometimes three called MSIEXEC.EXE along with lucoms~1.exe running as a service.

The reg key, by the way, was a set of numbers like 345672.ipi which if they were deleted they would come back after reboot.

I noticed that although Norton had been removed the Live update was still in the Add/Remove control panel. I ran the Norton Removal tool and got rid of the hanging installation. I had ruled out spyware or virus earlier.

I hope this helps someone.