Thread: Linking different office documents with each other in Windows 7

Linking different office documents with each other in Windows 7

How to link different office documents with each other. I am using a word document as the main file which has a list of different files in it. I had copied the location and pasted the same next to each file name. For example abc.docx (C:/C:\Users\Desktop\folder\abc.docx). In this way I search the file and update this every time. Now I need some way through which I can manage all the files from one place. Some way to link this documents with each other.

Re: Linking different office documents with each other in Windows 7

I do not think Microsoft Office has any tool for that. I am having more than 300 files. This are excel and word files. Whenever I have to find something I ran a search. The best thing I did is divided the files into different folders. It is easy to find.

There is a way to link files with each other. Now you said that you are having a word file as the main index file and its has listing of everything in it. Now what you can do is apply a hyperlink on. Just right click on the file name and click on Hyperlink. You will get a Insert Hyperlink box. In that on the left side you can see some options The first one is to add hyperlink of existing document. You have to click on that and choose the files one by one. Now this is a time consuming process but really works. This help you to simply link the files in a single file and then you can access them by clicking on them. To open the file just press Ctrl and move the mouse cursor over file name. A hand icon appear. Click on it and done. The file will open up. I had made a file which has around 50 files linked to the same and it looks to be working fine.

That is a bit risky. Because if you change the location of a file it will not work. It will give you error. To use this features it is necessary that you must not change the location at any cost. Also if you move the files to a new system you have to re-modify the location.