Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

sad Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

Hi all,
    Whenever I sign in I have to type in my username and password. I have clicked 'Remember Me' and 'Remember My Password' many times but whenever I turn my computer off or restart it my email and password disappear and I have to type them in again
    Any suggestions?!
    Thanks!

Re: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

hello,
    have you checked when you put your password that caps lock isnt appearing on?

its impossible that on live messenger it works and that on the web site it doesnt work thats a bit strange.

No it's all in messenger that i'm talking about. I'll type in my email address and password in messenger and click 'remember my password' and it'll sign in. However when I then turn my computer off and then on again the email address and password won't be there; I have to type them in again. So basically messenger isn't remembering my email and password..

Try to use the beta version of windows live messenger the newest one out so that may solve your problem. Try running CCleaner before reboot, or before restarting windows live messenger. There is the option to unclick windows live messenger under CCleaner-applications once you open up CCleaner.

Hi,
    here I will suggest one more option but If you wanted to do it then that will be your own risk because it will be related to your system registry.

Uninstalled Window live messenger from add/delete programs and removed manually its folder from C:\program files, and its keys from registry
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall)then reinstalled the Windows Live Messenger.

Regards,

No it's all in messenger that i'm talking about. I'll type in my email address and password in messenger and click 'remember my password' and it'll sign in. However when I then turn my computer off and then on again the email address and password won't be there; I have to type them in again. So basically messenger isn't remembering my email and password..

idea Re: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

i used to have the same problem and this is how i solved it... go where your widows live is installed for example local disk c, program files, windows live; in the windows live folder there is supposed to be an 'installer' folder, there you should find the windows live repair (wlarp) application. run it and click repair (not uninstall). i hope that this will help you.

Quote Originally Posted by angiebub View Post
    Hi all,
    Whenever I sign in I have to type in my username and password. I have clicked 'Remember Me' and 'Remember My Password' many times but whenever I turn my computer off or restart it my email and password disappear and I have to type them in again
    Any suggestions?!
    Thanks!
    You're not alone. Same issue here. But it only happens after a reboot. WLM does not remember my username and password, even though I put the checkmark in those damn boxes.

This just started happening in the last week too.

I've tried the repair and I've uninstalled WLM, downloaded the latest and reinstalled. Still won't remember.

Did you ever find a fix that worked for you?

I'm wondering if it's related to my IE8 install on my XP pc. Seems to have broken around the same time. And I have a couple of issues with IE8.
    Last edited by Zeeman28a; 25-06-2009 at 01:03 AM.

To resolve this issue, contact Windows Live Messenger's support team by:

1. Go to http://help.live.com/help.aspx?proje...m&market=en-us

2. Select your Messenger version.

3. Select one of the help topics displayed on the left panel.

4. Click Get more help at the lower-right corner of the window then click Get support.

5. Complete the e-form and then click Submit.

Thanks Expertz. Did what you recommended. Here's the reply.

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. My name is Rona and I will be helping you today.

I understand that when you sign in to your account, every time you restart or shutdown your computer, your sign in credentials (username and password) are not being saved on the sign in window of Windows Live Messenger 2009 even after ticking all the checkboxes to enable this feature. I know how inconvenient this is for you. Please know that this is already a known issue with Windows Live Messenger 2009 and earlier versions, we are diligently working for a fix for it.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you.

Again, thank you for bearing with us.

Sincerely,
    Rona
    Windows Live Messenger Technical Support

Well after weeks of trying to fix this problem, I happened upon another forum where a user tried the following and it worked for me. Thought I would post this in the techarena thread as a possible solution for others.

When certain applications are installed, it sets the following registry value:

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-926492609-725345543-1003\Soft*ware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]
    AppData = %AppData%

The problem here is AppData should actually be the following

AppData = %USERPROFILE%\Application Data

So when MSN or other apps that use that registry key go to save their data it gets lost.

So the solution is simple, run regedit and go to

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-796845957-926492609-725345543-1003\Soft*ware\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

and set the value AppData to a data value of %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
    There are 2 keys under HKEY_USERS that start with S-1-5-21-###....., choose the key that does not have "CLASSES" at the end.

This can also help you out. Launch your Windows Live Messenger and login. Then go to option and security. In the windows look for ask always for my password when I sign in webs powered by Microsoft passport. Remove the tick next to this option. Apply and click on OK. Logout and restart your system. Now once you saved your login id and password your messenger will work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Macarenas View Post
    This can also help you out. Launch your Windows Live Messenger and login. Then go to option and security. In the windows look for ask always for my password when I sign in webs powered by Microsoft passport. Remove the tick next to this option. Apply and click on OK. Logout and restart your system. Now once you saved your login id and password your messenger will work fine.
    The MSN tech had me try that, except it doesn't say Microsoft Passport, it's been updated to say "Ask for my password when I go to Hotmail and other websites that require a Windows Live ID". But it didn't work. That's when they came up with this reply.

I understand that when you sign in to your account, every time you restart or shutdown your computer, your sign in credentials (username and password) are not being saved on the sign in window of Windows Live Messenger 2009 even after ticking all the checkboxes to enable this feature. I know how inconvenient this is for you. Please know that this is already a known issue with Windows Live Messenger 2009 and earlier versions, we are diligently working for a fix for it.
    But the registry edit I posted earlier fixed it for me. Maybe this one will fix it for others. Can't hurt to try. Thanks for posting.

Regedit modification really worked for me. Thank you Zeeman

There is only one problem, Zeeman... This change to the registry did fix my issue with the messenger, however it also reset everything on my profile. My bookmarks for browsers reset to day 1, my quicklaunch vanished and I get an error when I try to put it back and some of my programs are asking me to install when I click on the shortcut, instead of opening up.

I found an easier fix for this....

Uninstall WLM....the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast