Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

idea Re: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

Well, removing WLM seems a bit drastic. I have had this issue for about 5 months, maybe longer cuz I just may not have been paying attention. It finally wore on my nerves to the point of troubleshooting.

I have Win7 x64 and the latest messenger client.

I simply uninstalled the Windows Live Sign-In Assistant. I don't remember why/where/when I installed it, but it was there. After doing so, my Mesh account, my Live Messenger, and most programs that ask for my Live ID (hotmail,etc) now just seem to work. One exception is my Live homepage, which I must hit the "sign in" button on each initial launch. Not sure if that was what this program was intended to help with, but I must say, I certainly can live without that now that my machine even boots faster (with Live and Mesh on startup). Your mileage may vary, but this made my life much easier.

-Sharkster

Re: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

In order to recover your Windows Live Messenger username and password, you need to use Password Recovery Tool for MSN Messenger. There is a setting in the main window of messenger where you enter the username and password that has three checkboxes tick them all and it should remember everything. The major advantages of MSN Messenger are that the program is free, easy to access, includes a variety of different features corresponding to all kinds of online users and has a user-friendly interface. It is important that the password you are trying to recover is stored on your computer (i.e. you are recovering your own password and not trying to crack someone’s passwords). Utility to recover lost or forgotten MSN Messenger passwords.

I may be mistaken, but the original question seemed to be more of why the username/password were not remembered by the system, not the user.

There is a setting in the main window of messenger where you enter the username and password Just tick "Remember Me"...that has three checkboxes tick them all and it should remember everything.

Yes, it 'should' remember eveything. Unfortunately, beyond reboot it does not - for me, or for numerous others. Again, I'm just posting what worked for me in an attempt to help others with the exact issue, under the exact circumstances.

sad Re: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeman28a View Post
    Well after weeks of trying to fix this problem, I happened upon another forum where a user tried the following and it worked for me. Thought I would post this in the techarena thread as a possible solution for others.

There are 2 keys under HKEY_USERS that start with S-1-5-21-###....., choose the key that does not have "CLASSES" at the end.
    I am sorry but this did not work for me.

Well after weeks of trying to fix this problem, I happened upon another forum where a user tried the following and it worked for me. Thought I would post this in the techarena thread as a possible solution for others.

There are 2 keys under HKEY_USERS that start with S-1-5-21-###....., choose the key that does not have "CLASSES" at the end.
    I have recently bought a secondhand computer and this problem was driving me crazy. I have tried so many ways to fix it, all with no luck...until I found this one.
    Thanks Zeeman this worked perfectly! debbityk

Quote Originally Posted by Pauline View Post
    Hi,
    here I will suggest one more option but If you wanted to do it then that will be your own risk because it will be related to your system registry.

Uninstalled Window live messenger from add/delete programs and removed manually its folder from C:\program files, and its keys from registry
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall)then reinstalled the Windows Live Messenger.

Regards,
    thanks a lot -- it did work fine

Here's a simpler solution that worked for me. Hope it works for you guys too!

1. Log on to messenger, go to Options, then Security.
    2. Check the box "Always ask for my password" (the top one); YES, check it! Then select "Apply"
    3. Log off, shut down messenger.
    4. Restart messenger, log on. Again, go to Options, then Security
    5. This time UNCHECK the box "Always ask for my password", press "Apply".

Now messenger should remember your username and password, if you also
    check the 3 boxes on the log-in screen.

Happy Re: Windows Live Messenger won't remember my username and password!

Changing the registry works for me!!! Hurray! Thank you for your contribution!

Another Solution

There is a solution without installing and programs or hacking the registery.

- Create a new user on windows.
    - Test MSN Messenger with the new windows user and it should be working fine
    - Copy your personal files and settings from the old user to the new user
    - Done

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    i used to have the same problem and this is how i solved it... go where your widows live is installed for example local disk c, program files, windows live; in the windows live folder there is supposed to be an 'installer' folder, there you should find the windows live repair (wlarp) application. run it and click repair (not uninstall). i hope that this will help you.
    Thank you for your advice Tamara! This worked for me! You're a star! Thank you so much!

Hi JulesVerne;
    This works for me!! Thank you very much

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12