Thread: Can i extract text from jpg file

Can i extract text from jpg file

I am a Windows 7 user and am in need of some urgent help. I am having some images in jpg format embedded with some useful texts. I need to write a article with those text but doing it manually will take a long time and i dont have so much of time. Some weeks ago i found post here on this forum regarding extracting text from pdf files. So, i wanted to know is it possible to extract images from a jpg file ? If yes please let me know how? I appreciate your helps..

Re: Can i extract text from jpg file

Yes, you can easily extract images from jpe images. To do so, you need a application known as OCR. It is a computerized optical character recognition. The FreeOCR freeware can recover the text in the image of a printed text but also scanned a leaf and even a PDF document. If the result requires some alterations depending on the quality of your original document, most of the characters and words are recognized and you can get your text into your word processor, Word or OpenOffice for example.

You'll have a text document that you can manipulate, rework and recreational use. After correcting any errors it will do more to reformat the text, which is still less restrictive than having to type the entire text.

FreeOCR is an OCR software optical character recognition that allows you to retrieve the text is in images of printed or typed text as well as PDF files. Once you have installed it on your system, get ready to extract text from images with these steps:-

• Whether from a scanned document or brochure, FreeOCR can recognize the text in an image.
    • Start FreeOCR by double clicking on its icon on the desktop.
    • Click the Open button.
    • Select your hard drive the image you want to extract the text. Click the Open button.
    • Click on the red X to delete the text previously recognized.
    • Scroll OCR language and select Language.
    • Click the OCR button. The software then analyzes your image.
    • The result is displayed in the right frame of the window.
    • You can then copy recognized text into the software (eg Word) of your choice or save to a text file using the controls in the center of the window.
    • You can then correct any errors in your word processor.

FreeOCR is very simple to use and is completely free. This does not prevent it from being particularly effective. Even if you have some errors to correct (letters unrecognized), it will save you time by avoiding you crazy having to copy long texts. FreeORC supports:
    1. Most types of images (including compressed Tiff)
    2. The documents are in your scanner (Scan Twain and WIA)
    3. PDF documents
    4. Faxes

To recognize the text of a paper document, you can scan the form of an image can then be imported into FreeOCR. You can also leave FreeOCR the scan for you. To do so, start OCR. Click the Scan button. Select your scanner from the list and click Select. Scan as you normally would your document. Once scanned, the document is imported into FreeOCR. Click on the red X to delete the text previously recognized. Select the switch to examine and then click the button to start the OCR recognition. The result is displayed in the right frame of the window. You can then copy recognized text into the software (eg Word) of your choice or save to a text file using the controls in the center of the window. You can then correct any errors in your word processor.

If you noticed that mistakes are often slipped into the recognition of FreeOCR. Follow these tips to reduce errors and improve character recognition:
    1. Scan your documents in black and white in accuracy between 200 and 300 dpi.
    2. Rotate your images so that the text is horizontal.
    3. Select the part to be extracted by excluding anything that has no relation with the words: borders, images, ...
    4. Feel free to work on several small parts: first the title, a paragraph, second, etc..
    5. If a text is found on several columns, working on each column, by selecting them one after the other.
    6. Adjust the picture control menu Constrast OCR allows you to increase the contrast to highlight the text. Feel free to use images in clear text.