Thread: Product Key states 'incorrect' on Notebook

Product Key states 'incorrect' on Notebook

Hi, I purchased an HP 2133 mini-note pc (from Amazon) for my daughter to use at school, which already had a trial version of MS office installed. There is no CD drive in the mini-note pc and instructions state to activate full version just have to purchase and input product key. However, whenever I input the product key (from label inside box - also bought from Amazon) it just states:
    "The key is incorrect. Verify that you have the correct key, and they retype it."
    I have checked and the only "B" is not an "8" there are a couple of "D"'s but these are not zeros.
    Can you help?
    Regards
    M.

Re: Product Key states 'incorrect' on Notebook

Are you sure you are inputting the product key correctly? What message do you get after putting this key? Ask for another product key if it is not working as you have stated that you have bought it from amazon and you aint illegally using it, right.

TOTALLY legal and checked/rechecked/rechecked again that number is correct. Case was sealed when arrived and bought from Amazon so not second hand or something. I have complained to Amazon who say that they are sending me out another copy but not sure that if it is something to do with it being a notebook rather than a pc. There is no cd-rom so all pre-installed and just activated with product key.

Sorry, and to answer your question, the response I get when inputting the product key (25 digits) is the one I have put in my original message above.

Since you have bought the PC from Amazon, so they are responsible if the product key is not working. If they are sending you another copy, then wait for it and see if that is working. Amazon will most probably provide you full support regarding issues from their sides.

And I dont think there is any issue with it being a notebook or a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by maryturnerthonmson View Post
    Hi, I purchased an HP 2133 mini-note pc (from Amazon) for my daughter to use at school, which already had a trial version of MS office installed. There is no CD drive in the mini-note pc and instructions state to activate full version just have to purchase and input product key. However, whenever I input the product key (from label inside box - also bought from Amazon) it just states:
    "The key is incorrect. Verify that you have the correct key, and they retype it."
    I have checked and the only "B" is not an "8" there are a couple of "D"'s but these are not zeros.
    Can you help?
    Regards
    M.
    Normally oem manufacturers when install trial versions of office don't add any office product key label because it's a trial version, you test the product and if you want to continue using it you have to buy a new office license with product key, uninstall the trial version and install that full version.

Probably you are typing your Vista or Xp oem product key, that is the reason it is incorrect.

Raúl T.
    1st level technician
    Microsoft Spanish Support