Thread: IE7 favorites gone!

this is the problem people, you can use the add to favorites buttons ,all goes well then ,when you go to favorites centre to see if its there a message comes up saying C:\users\paul\favorites[55]\favorites\ refers to a location which is unavailable, i have found them in fav 55 ?[ which i never created] which is now in computer\ local disk\ users \paul....can i restore them to the IE where they belong.thanks for any help. paul tried system restore, default settings , deleting it. as soon as you hit add to favorites its there again ! in plain english please [ not com lit]

me again vista home premium.... paul

Re: IE7 favorites gone!

Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
    IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
    (No add-ons).

Solution:

1. Open a Command Prompt as an administrator.
    2. Browse to the folder that contains your Favorites folder. That means whichever folder your Favorites folder is in.
    3. Copy this statement, right click the Command Prompt window at the prompt, and select paste:
    icacls favorites /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low

Explanation:

IE7 runs in "Protected Mode" with UAC on. Protected Mode sandboxes practically anything IE-related. So Microsoft came up with a concept called "Integrity" that defines the permissions level of given folders, outside the standard ACL security structure. You have to let IE know that it's ok two write to a given folder that has higher permissions.

NOTE: You may also need to do this to the Documents and Downloads folders too, if you want to be able to save stuff from IE7.
    I'm the Proud Owner of the most dangerous weapon
    known to man kind: Human Brain

Try using the Following:

To Import your Favorites into a newly created version of Microsoft Internet Explorer, simply run the wizard again. This time select Import and click on "next." Browse to the saved copy of "bookmark.htm" and the wizard will replace your existing bookmarks (which are just the defaults) with the previously saved copy.

ohterwise check the bookmark.htm in your system if you will get this then you are able to get all your bookmarks back.

Regards.

thanks for the advice guys ,cyril tried the add ons off,still happens,techguru all good till it comes to the (0I) (CI) it then informs me this is not in the parameters ? it is still saving them but not in the IE favorites and the place where there going is not availalbe from IE favorites centre? the other thing is the favorites folder with a star icon is inside a folder called favorites (55) which i did not create, this all started two weeks back when i let my sister transfer her pictures to my pc from her mem stick,paul

Open MyComputer-> Local Disk C:-> Documents and Settings
    This is where you might have to do some hunting. There should be a folder for each user on the computer even the administrator. Open each folder and check the Favorites in each one. If you find your missing stuff copy that Favorites folder to your folder. This might fix the problem.
    Last edited by Learning One; 21-01-2009 at 09:42 PM.

Me again come to think of it, if the favorites folder that is a star icon is your favorites move it out of the folder it is in and put it strait into your folder that is in documents and setting