Thread: post recovery disk scan not completing

post recovery disk scan not completing

I should have started seeking help here sometime ago. Well better late than never, maybe.
    (OS : Windows Vista Ultimate )
    Computer: Sony VAIO

Issues:

1/ Recovery Discs:
    Bought my laptop back in Sept last year. Unfortunately, I made a boo boo & thought it was OK to create the recovery discs on dvd-rw discs. Computer recovery program pointed out that though though were supported they were not advised. Well saw that after I'd made them, and as seemed to have recorded OK, and at the time did not have any “R” discs I left it at that. Mistake- discovered quite recently discs do not work – not even if contents copied onto R discs. Recording I've been told is incomplete. Oh well so use of recovery discs (well these ones) is not an option.

2/ Nov 08 some problems getting a couple of critical windows updates- had ongoing support from Microsoft but was getting nowhere. Then found some more maufacturers updates for my Sony VAIO and installed them. Disaster -I think it was tied up with some other activity at the time when went to reboot after getting updates, but anyway computer would not reboot. The “OS could not be found”. Computer took itself into the recovery mode and recovered itself from the recovery partition.
    I seem to recall possibly getting some brief message about something, possibly, not having gone right at the end of the recovery. It only flashed up briefly, & unexpectedly, at the end of one of the last stage of the process & I cannot remember the details.

Anyway, that was a month ago. I started afterwards to merrily to get all updates and put back no all my programs. . La de da !
    Then knowing there was an issue with entering my registration serial number for one of my Photoshop Plug-ins I followed the previously advised and successful action which was to modify permissions on the plug-ins folder. Well, rather I went to, but I got the message that the permissions were incorrectly ordered. That was when I decided to do check disk scans. The problems there I will get onto, I did subsequently let the computer reorder the permissions yo correct order, but there had obviously been a problem I felt that needed ironing out. Hence use of disk scan checks....

3/ Disk scan checks:Now this is the real issue. They will not complete. They are getting stuck in free clusters and getting reboots and blue screen error reports BCCode 9F. The only one that successfully completes is “Scan For And Attempt Recovery Of Bad Sectors” in Safe Mode.

Manufacturer's Support said to send back pc for repair- never happened owing to communication problems and then a weekend. Meanwhile I looked some more into things. In Event Viewer I found
    “Registry Hive Recovered} Registry hive (file): '\??\C:\Users\chris\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat' was corrupted and it has been recovered. Some data might have been lost. “ This was dated/ happened the day following the November recovery.

Support then told me I need to do a recovery again from the partition. Well as things had not seemed to have gone entirely smoothly and with a possible registry error I really wanted to recover using the discs, but of course, I could not, owing to my misunderstanding regarding recording format.
    Awaited to hear from Support again -The week went by- nothing. Decided I would recover using the recovery partition. No odd little error message after this recovery, but check discs scans just like before not completing. Same problems again.
    One of the this I was getting post some scans was a blue screen that flashed briefly saying had DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.
    TECHNICAL INFO:
    *** stop: 0x00000009F (0x00000003, 0x8479A030, 0x 81547B0,0X84A43C78.
    Also after one scan I got the message on rebooting that an unknown driver was being installed and nothing had been attached or added.

I have found a couple of reoccurring errors when looked in Event Viewer.
    Here they are (I've removed any data that I'm not sure about privacy-wise.)

Here's first:

Log Name: Application
    Source: VzCdbSvc
    Date: 16/01/2009 14:17:50
    Event ID: 7
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: *******
    Description:
    Failed to load the plug-in module. (GUID = {56F9312C-C989-4E04-8C23-299DEE3A36F5})(Error code = 0x80042019)
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="VzCdbSvc" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">7</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-16T14:17:50.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1876</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>********</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>{56F9312C-C989-4E04-8C23-299DEE3A36F5}</Data>
    <Data>0x80042019</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Here's second:

Log Name: System
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Date: 16/01/2009 14:18:37
    Event ID: 7000
    Computer: ********
    Description:
    The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.
    Event Xml:
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-16T14:18:37.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5884</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>********</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">Parallel port driver</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">%%1058</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Here's one other, but this seems a one-off, so far, not re-occurring:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
    Date: 16/01/2009 05:38:52
    Event ID: 10005
    Computer: *******
    Description:
    DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service stisvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}
    Event Xml:
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="49152">10005</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2009-01-16T05:38:52.000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>5450</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>*******</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="param1">1068</Data>
    <Data Name="param2">stisvc</Data>
    <Data Name="param3">
    </Data>
    <Data Name="param4">{A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Finally here is the error report from unexpected shutdown during automatically check & fix errors scan:

Product
    Windows

Problem
    Shut down unexpectedly

Date
    16/01/2009 01:21

Status
    Not Reported

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
    Mini011609-01.dmp
    sysdata.xml
    Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
    BCCode: 9f
    BCP1: 00000003
    BCP2: 84791030
    BCP3: 85153AD8
    BCP4: 85F74578
    OS Version: 6_0_6000
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

End of the week, not having heard back from Support, I rang. Guy was trying to convince me that there was nothing to worry about as my computer will start normally, and said that the computer is probably OK, and that the disk scans are probably finding errors that do not exist.
    Well something must be wrong for his to be happening. Even if the disk scans are in error and mu computer is “OK” then what if get other problems in the future. Surely disk scans are a fundamental way of sorting problems out, and if they do not complete........

When I told the Support guy about the Event Viewer errors he said he would have to liaise with a colleague. He's going to call back after the weekend.
    I can see he does not want to take the computer back for repair.
    I'd obviously rather not be without it, but I'd rather get it sorted out. Hence the recoveries etc.

(I bought the computer via the Internet, last September.)

If Support do take it for repair, not sure who pays what for collection etc. Anyway, I'm hoping they will repair it. (Then if repaired I could then also recreate those recovery discs, but this time put them onto DVD-R discs. (That's my only obvious error, and not one that has directly affected the problems in hand. Just means I'm lacking a recovery option.)

Anyway, I've done what I can to try to sort thingfs out/ investigate the problems but feel can go no further.

Could do with a little more help from manufacturer's Support.

If anyone can see anythintg obviously wrong in the errors please comment.

Meanwhile I shall try and chill this weekend
    Last edited by voyager_3; 17-01-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Re: post recovery disk scan not completing

When you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep, you may receive a Stop 0x9F error message that resembles the following:
    STOP 0x0000009F (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
    DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
    This problem occurs when a device that uses an Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE) 1394 connection is connected to the computer. For example, the device may be a Maxtor One Touch II 300GB model external hard disk, an Apple iPod, or some other IEEE 1394-based device.

To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows Vista. For more information, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929762/

Many thanks for the responses. The Sleep problems/ Blue Screen thread looks interesting. I guess I'm getting the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen as disk scan stops, and computer eventually goes to sleep. Still even if solve that, how am to get disk scan to complete I wonder.
    I was getting the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen with SP1 and all the latest Windows Updates installed. I had also at some point changed the power saving scheme of the computer but that did not make a difference.
    I did manage to take a photo of the blue screen when it happened. (I was ready as can see when scan gets stuck.) See attached. The VAIO hardware check tool revealed nothing amiss- Well not tried it again post the last recovery, but I would have thought that if did not find any problem before , when there was a problem then it would be of little help. Might try it again. It takes some hours to run.
    Guess it's worth trying to get WINDBG tool mentioned in the other post.

Back to it I suppose

Still no luck. I'm trying to use the windbg tool but not sure what I'm doing and cannot get source files to open. Tried putting command in cmd -once again not 100% what to do- Commands not being recognised.
    With the reported parallel port problem I wonder if I should disable the wifi drivers ? Something must be connected to parallel ports within the unit. I'm guessing it might be the wifi switch ? Might as well give it a go....

Update: a significant one I feel:

I have been doing a Selective Startup and then running the CHKDSK scan for “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” . A long process as disabled all Services and then gradually putting them back on.
    I had wondered if the reason why the CHKDSK scan for “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” was not completing was related to the Recovery Partition . The scan had been completing in Safe Mode and the report had said

“Free space verifiication is complete.
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect. The Volume Bitmap is incorrect. Windows found problems with the file system .”
    (It also said any files affected had been moved ot a folder named “Found” which I could never find so guess then that no files found to be affected by the problem.

Anyway, with use of Selective Startup have narrowed the problem down now. With all services disabled except VIRTUAL DISC and VOLUME SHADOW COPY the CHECK DISK scan “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” completes.
    I've just run the scan with only VIRTUAL DISK disabled. The scan got stuck again like before, so re-enabling VOLUME SHADOW COPY obviously led to the scan not working.
    I am now in the process of running a scan for with only VOLUME SHADOW COPY disabled............

It's the VOLUME SHADOW COPY that is causing the problem.
    With only the VOLUME SHADOW COPY service disabled I have just successfully completed a check disk scan of “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” .

So what does this mean ?

Is there a problem with the Recovery Partition that was perhaps occurred with the disastert just pre the first system recovery ?
    Or
    Does it just mean that CHECK DISK scans cannot handle the Recovery Partition ?
    Anyone out there tried CHECK DISK scan who has a Recovery Partition ?

Only just realised I never said which model Sony Vaio have. It's a VGN-AR71ZU CEK
    Now if anyone out there with the same model and with Vista Ultimate SP1 want to run a Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors” scan and let me know their results