Thread: Rotate avi files by 90 degrees

Rotate avi files by 90 degrees

Can anyone help me?

I need a software which can rotate avi files by 90 degrees. It would be super if this bit of software that you recommend is free! Is it possible?

Re: Rotate avi files by 90 degrees

You can try it with Windows Movie Maker in the Programs. Import the video file into the storyboard and right click to choose the “video effects”. Add “rotate 90″ to the effect, and then you can export the movie to a WMV file. The good thing here is that you don’t need to download anything, since Windows Movie Maker comes with Windows XP.

The other solution is that you can download a software called virtualdub. Open the video file in virtualdub, and make sure in the “video” menu you are in the “full processing mode”. Now choose “add filters” and find the “rotate” filter. After the rotate filter, don’t forget to add a “resize” filter. If your original movie is 640×480, you should set the resize filter to 480×640.

The VirtualDub application works great - except the file size grew from 35mb to 700mb. The original file used an IBM Motion JPEG codec, while the output from VirtualDub is DIB Full Frames. So I ran it back through VirtualDub, but I could only get the file down to 256MB using Cinepak Radius.

Any suggestions in reducing the file size?

Use Avidemux instead of virtualdub for a more convenient file size:

Open video in avidemux
    Click on the information button (i) to see the video codec 4cc (e.g. MPEG)
    Select a similar encoding instead of 'copy' in video panel on the left (e.g. M-JPEG)
    Click Filters - Transform - Rotate (the last one doubleclick) - select angle
    Check with preview
    close
    Save video
    Last edited by Maqbool; 28-06-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: External Links Not Allowed, Removed The Same.

smile Re: Rotate avi files by 90 degrees

Thanks! avidemux works great!. I had to change the Audio as well, choosing either AC3 or MP3 instead of Copy. The original video was ADPCM (mono), and PCM didn't work. If I left it on Copy, there was no audio.

The file size remained the same. Great program! (perfect for those family members that forget to rotate the camera!!!)
    Thanks!

I tried to rotate my avi file by using Movie Maker. The picture is "squashed," i.e. out of proportion. So I tried avidemux. I followed all of the above directions but I can't open the file! Windows Media Player says it doesn't support the codec that was used to make it. Help!

There is a nice and free tool for that. It is called as Movie Rotator. I was using this tool before to rotate video files before. It is best for rotating digital camera and quicktime files. You can setup the orientation of the movie to landscape or portrait as you want. You can then save your movie and the settings also with you. Just try this tool out.

Thanks for the info. But this program will only rotate .mov files. My camera makes .avi files. Since posting this question I found something else, for those of you out there with the same problem; it's called "Free Video Flip and Rotate" and it works great! You can download a whole suite of useful utilities with it. Good luck, all.

Thanks. First time used this forum, through Google.

wow, each case is so fiddly and specific. A few hours later, I got there in the end, but I had to use Avedimux and then convert it to an AVI file using SUPER, as avedimux was saving it as an unreadable file type. Thanks for your help. I will be a horizontal-camera-holding-nazi from now on.

ThumbsUp Re: Rotate avi files by 90 degrees

I tried the solutions people mentioned. I was trying to rotate a video that is is .avi form. Avidemux rotated but left the video in the all files format. No other program would open the file as a video. Movie Rotator only rotates .mov. So it was useless to me.

The solution that worked for me was Free Video Flip and Rotate. Thank you for posting that solution. It was easy to use, no filters or other things to worry me. It has large easy to use icons.

Thanks for posting a solution that does work!

chinaewindow Guest

You can search “Format Factory” by google ,It support all video formats can be converted, and it's free

I am also agree that the FormatFactory will be the best option for you. It is nothing but the ad-supported freeware multimedia converter. This can convert the video, audio, and picture in any other format. You can also rip and burn CD’s with the help of this and also can create the .iso file. You will also be able to join two videos together. It supports almost all the formats. I hope that this will help you.