Thread: Cannot open Ms word or excel files, getting error message

Cannot open Ms word or excel files, getting error message

Hello,

My problem started when I had changed the paper size of a document and I saved the document. Then something about a template came up and I don't know what I did but now, NONE of my Word documents come up and I always get an error "Word cannot open this document template. (C:\Program Files\...\STARTUP\eefonts.dot)"
    when I open Word. Then when I go to retrieve a document, any document (not just the one I altered), I get a message that "The file ...is not available." When I go to close Word, I have to go through a series of prompts telling me that "the file Normal already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" Whether I say yes or no, nothing changes. I still cannot open any files, let alone the one I created (which I badly need). What do I

do???

Re: Cannot open word or excel files, getting error message

Firstly, change the name of eefonts.dot to eefonts.$$$, then re-start Word. That should, at least, work as a quick fix. Any .dot file in Word's start-up folder gets loaded as an add-in when Word starts; and ode in it can run automatically (eg when you start, when you open or close a document, quit Word, etc). If that code fails (as appears to be happening in your case) then you get error messages, documents fail to pen, etc.

Secondly, you need to find out what eefonts.dot actually is, where it came from, and what it is supposed to do (and whether it matters if you just delete it!). From its name it presumably has to do with fonts, which makes sense if it appears after you changed printer settings. If you have no idea what the file is, do a Google. Likely to show up somewhere.

See this thread for solution - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926909

Thank guys for the reply, i'll try it out !!!