Thread: Media Player 11 odd Problem

question Media Player 11 odd Problem

not sure if this can be fixed short of a fresh restore of Vista but...

I have several video files on my computer. After a while I got tired of scrolling through them and made an excel file that listed the title and various details about each file and then hyperlinked the title cell to the video file. This was working great until the other day when a friend sent me a file that (supposedly) had two audio tracks. After messing around with WMP for a while and not getting it to switch audio tracks, I installed Realmedia alternative as that boasted the ability to switch audio tracks. It didn't work either so I unistalled it. Then WMP wouldn't play ANY of the video files. Microsoft support site suggested deleting the wmsdkns.xml file. It worked.....kind of. Now when I click my hyperlink in excel WMP starts but does not play the file If I open the folder and click the file manually it plays no problem.

so um... WTF??

P.S. have uninstalled /re-installed all my codecs etc...

Re: Media Player 11 odd Problem

It might be possible that the hyperlinked media's would be corrupted. So try creating another excel sheet and hyperlinking again to see if it is working or not?

I think you have to recreate hyperlinks.

Hi,

I suppose you should have a look at the following link which will guide you about how to create Hyperlink if you are mistaking somewhere as well as you may get the proper solution to your above said Question.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Sea...l%20sheet&ac=3

Hope this help you.
    Regards

hi, prepare a new excel sheet and hyperlink your video and audio files with VideoLAN (vlc player). it's a video player that offers much more than windows Media Player.

the excel file isn't the problem.. all the other links work (for other file types) it seems just the VOB files are the problem. When I installed Realmedia Alternative (big mistake) it hijacked the .vob files. Uninstalling it didn't hand them back to WMP.

No matter how many times I uninstall/re-install the codec's that allowed WMP to play the .vob files, WMP will not play them any more. If I set VLC as the default player for the .vob files (using the control panel) then the link in Excel doesn't work...windows says that "no program is registered for this file type" but I can open the files fine manually...which is what I didn't want to do ..hence the spreadsheet....

something NEW...AS OF @ DAYS AGO/NOTHING HAS BEEN CHANGED-TO MY KNOWLEDGE !!!!! all of a sudden my " autoplay " does not run ( XP/Player 11 )
    a disc is put in and it opens the program , showing the tracks on the right pane, but nothing plays until i hit the PLAY button..All settings are in the Autoplay mode. Uninstalled/ reinstalled nothing !!!!!
    Set the player back to Media Player 10 and all is okay..

Quote Originally Posted by Mutazoia View Post
    No matter how many times I uninstall/re-install the codec's that allowed WMP to play the .vob files, WMP will not play them any more.
    Sounds like the VOB file may be using a codec you don't have. I'd recommend the CCCP codec pack. It was made for maximum compatibility and I've had no problems with it whatsoever.

Yogesh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by magicmawk View Post
    something NEW...AS OF @ DAYS AGO/NOTHING HAS BEEN CHANGED-TO MY KNOWLEDGE !!!!! all of a sudden my " autoplay " does not run ( XP/Player 11 )
    a disc is put in and it opens the program , showing the tracks on the right pane, but nothing plays until i hit the PLAY button..All settings are in the Autoplay mode. Uninstalled/ reinstalled nothing !!!!!
    Set the player back to Media Player 10 and all is okay..
    Hi magicmawk,
    Though your problem is related to WMP 11 only, it is slightly different from the main topic of this thread. Posting different problem in others thread is considered as hijacking the thread, as it gets deviated from the main topic. So I request you to make a new thread with your problem and with a title that best describes that thread. This will ensure you get multiple replies dedicated to your problem only.

BTW, Welcome to TechArena Community