Thread: Windows mail

sad Windows mail

I cannot send or receive my emails to three different accounts in Windows mail. If I manage to load Windows mail up as soon as I start my computer it lets my mail through otherwise it just keeps giving me this report

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop3.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have tried deleting my accounts and setting them up again but the same thing happens. I am running Norton security and AVG programmmes.

Any help please

Yogesh Guest
    It looks like there is some interference from either your Norton security or AVG programmmes which is causing the said error. You can try this- uninstall your AVG first then reinstall it with custom settings. In custom settings, you might uncheck those installation options related to mails like email scanning module and which you feel like troublesome with mails.

Verify in your mail settings if SSL is checked or not. If it is checked, uncheck it.

Windows mail

in my windows mail i can use the find message option to find who my mail is from. i put the name in the from section and click find now, the message i'm looking from is found then windows mail freezes and i can't do another search. Could this be because i have a lot of e-mails in my inbox folder or is it because im using norton antivirus. Can anyone please help me? thanx a lot

Re: Windows mail

Windows Mail is very sensitive to interference from certain antivirus programs.Norton Anti-Virus and Windows Mail do not play well together. Often when you uninstall Norton using Windows, that is not enough. Norton has a special debris uninstaller - even though you don't have Norton now, it could still be causing a problem. download the clean-up program: If you have McAfee or Norton antivirus, uninstall it. Reboot and try Windows Mail again. Once you get your email working properly, download and install a less trouble some antivirus program such as the free Avast. Whichever antivirus program you keep, be sure to disable its email scanning option.

Which antivirus program are you running?

Try to install all updates available through Windows Update. Maybe one of them will fix this problem.

Mail’s Search is poised to find anything in your entire account – messages, attachments, names, words, photos. It's powerful.The search window is in the upper-right corner of the page, next to the gray button Search Mail.

I just ran Windows Update, installing Windows Search 4.0 for Windows Vista x64-Based Systems (KB940157), and it fixed the search problem.
    It now works as it should.

When a e-mail contents one of more info's about a web adress etc. (hyper link) and I try open it, I get the "stop box" saying "application not found"
    What is wrong and how can I get rid of that bad info/brake.

It seems like the .URL file extension lost it's association. You will need to go into Default Programs and make sure that you select "Internet Explorer" and click "Set this program as Default". do it as procedure explain below.

1. Open the Control Panel (Classic View).
    2. Click on the Default Programs icon.
    3. Click on the Set your default programs link.

A) Click on the program name in the list, that you want to set the default file extension associations for, to highlight it.

Double check your settings in Windows Mail to:
    1. Click Tools - Options
    2. Click Security tab
      A) Dot Internet Zone
    3. Click OK